Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, today I replaced the battery in my Ford Focus 2000 SE Zetec with a used battery. I replaced the battery, started the car up, everything appears to be running smooth, so I decided to let it sit there running idle for awhile (about 5mins or so). I took my tools back into the house came back out of the house and I saw the head lights are off realizing the engine had stopped running. I went to my car opened the door and I saw some smokes and smelled something had burnt. I tried restarting the car but this time it won't start nor crank. Is it a fuse blown (I hope its a fuse) or something? I hope it didn't damaged any major components (starter, alternator etc). Any suggestions what might have happened? The light inside the car still comes on, and the dashboard light still comes on when I turn the ignition switch. The battery I bought fits perfectly in the battery trade.

What should I do?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Have you done anything else to the electrical system of the car recently? Instal a stereo or alarm, had to replace any fuses?

Other than hooking up the battery backwards I don't see how properly installing a battery would cause something electrical inside the car to burn up.

As far as what should you could do...... check all the fuses, check the connections on the battery, maybe even have your battery and alternator tested.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
There's a fuse under the hood that's kinda by the battery box that controls the engine. Not sure where it's at, but when installing my old volant cai on my sister's zts, she made it about 10 miles before the car stalled & wouldn't start any more. Had to have it towed to a shop & they replaced an inline fuse

But i do agree with the above. If the battery was installed properly, then it shouldn't be smoking. Recheck your work, maybe remove the battery & see if there's a wire or loom where there shouldn't be

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GhostTribute, lildisco:

Thanks for replying, I check in the fuse box and one of the 30amp fuse blown. Its for the ignition and starter. But when a fuse burnt out does it cause a burning smell/some smoke? Or something else was burning before the fuse was blown?

I didn't hook the battery up wrong unless there is something wrong with the battery. I did buy the battery used.

I have to wait until monday exchange/get a replace battery, hook it up and try again. I just hope everything will be ok and nothing got damage.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
I smell a troll.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Choice of user name will get that response a lot, FocalJet is a competing Focus website.

It's kinda like having a facebook name of "twitter".

Plenty of possibilities, one that comes to mind because of a similar post today is a stuck ign. switch or starter solenoid keeping that engaged at the start.

Could be ANY electrical fault, I hope the battery got disconnected & you started from there - seeing if there was excess draw & then looking at fuses to see if one was blown.

Moved to General Tech Chat for a better fit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't have schematics for your model but you have a starter relay there somewhere that could be stuck closed. Blown fuses do not usually give out any smoke so check the wiring, etc. before replacing it. Also ensure that the battery rating is correct and measure the voltage at the terminals before connecting (that would also help you verify their polarity).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't have schematics for your model but you have a starter relay there somewhere that could be stuck closed. Blown fuses do not usually give out any smoke so check the wiring, etc. before replacing it. Also ensure that the battery rating is correct and measure the voltage at the terminals before connecting (that would also help you verify their polarity).
may I know the battery rating for it should be at?

the voltage at the terminals should be 12.5V?

·
Registered
41 Posts
From 25 KM South of Niagara Falls, New York, I'd guess the battery was installed backwards.

Red lead is to the positive terminal (+) and negative lead, it's black goes on the other terminal.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If it smoked right away I'd agree, but it couldn't have started that way.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Starter stuck is my guess. Maybe from a sticky ignition tumbler or bad solenoid.

Gonna be a case where the car needs to visit a mechanic. Not a problem the internet can diagnose properly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
that's where I was at, figured it was stuck engaged for one reason or another while it idled.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Choice of user name will get that response a lot, FocalJet is a competing Focus website.

It's kinda like having a facebook name of "twitter".

Plenty of possibilities, one that comes to mind because of a similar post today is a stuck ign. switch or starter solenoid keeping that engaged at the start.

Could be ANY electrical fault, I hope the battery got disconnected & you started from there - seeing if there was excess draw & then looking at fuses to see if one was blown.

Moved to General Tech Chat for a better fit.

Not just a competing website, but one that generally sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's where I was at, figured it was stuck engaged for one reason or another while it idled.
I found a fuse that was burnt out and replaced it. its the 30AMP fuse (ignition switch, starter fuse). The engine now cranks but won't start. Any idea what might be the problem now or what I should do next guys?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Usual first checks are for spark & fuel, with listening for the fuel pump when key first turned on the most basic one for fuel.

Is the key switch working normally?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts