Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got some new wheels for my car ,old school ARE mesh wheels for my focus and the tire size they have now are HUGE!!!(225/60/15) and i need help with a tire size that i dont rub and heres a pic of what they look on my car

·
Registered
267 Posts
So you went from 215/45R17 to a 15" rim, I'd go with 195/60r15 or 205/60R15, either should work, but from what I can tell in the pic, those wheels have the incorrect offset, might be a case of trial and error to get something that looks right.

·
Registered
621 Posts
How wide are the wheels? That will help u might try a little stretch and that would keep from rubbing.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
205/55-15 works nicely as well but depends somewhat on rim width and offset. The offset appears to be very low as they seem to somewhat align with the fender lip.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
The offset appears to be very low as they seem to somewhat align with the fender lip.
This^, that offset looks really really low, you might not be able to get by with a smaller tire, unless you do some serious fender rolling as well before it won't rub.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont know what the offset is but i do know they are 15x7 but i will check tomorrow to see what the offset it and wouldn't a 195 60 work on these or would i need something smaller and i might have to do some fender work to get these to work

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
i research the off set and i think this is it Offset is +25mm

Ouch! that's really low and could easily be problematic even with 195/60-15. The only way to really tell is a test fit, but if it were me I wouldn't bother as I believe its just too low. More tire shop will mount one tire and test fit it but exccpect to pay something for this service especially if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i tested fitted them today and the brake caliper was touching the inner part of the rim i was thinking running a 5mm spacer or would that be a bad idea

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
yeah i tested fitted them today and the brake caliper was touching the inner part of the rim i was thinking running a 5mm spacer or would that be a bad idea
That would make your offset worse. It becomes 20mm with a 5mm spacer. As a point of reference, stock offset is 52.5mm and most people try to go with wheels in the 42 to 49 mm area. Less then 45mm and you start to increase your chances of rubbing especially if you're lowered. The lower you go both offset and height) the worse it can get.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright so a bad idea and thank you for the info so pretty much the wheels i have are useless on the focus

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Offtopic, but what wheels are those? What did they come off of?

They look kinda cool actually sucks they wont work for ya.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Theyre ARE mesh wheels and they are from a 5.0 mustang the old school saleen mustang I like them a lot too

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Well crap if you can run thrm, I can run the ones I have then

As long as you understand what the downsides are. Look at the pictures posted above. If you should hit a pot hole etc. where is that tire going? Some stiffer springs and good shocks are needed to keep that tire from burying itself in the fender above it. Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i do understand what your saying and if i did hit a pot hole it would hit my fenders and i think i might do that use stiffer sprigs and good shocks too and thanks o one more thing would h&r springs would be the best for these type of wheels

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
H&R race springs may be stiff enough but they'll lower the car almost 2" which may complicate the problem as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so my best bet would be just to get coilovers and camber plates to adjust every thing on the car

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Coilovers are good for lowering a car and for corner weighting but most are lousy for raising a car. If you go this direction make sure height adjustment is done by a shock body that can be lengthened or shortened versus those that adjust height via spring compression/decompression only.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts