Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. This is my first post but since the purchase of my 2013 Focus SE I've been finding myself here a lot lately when researching my vehicle.

One big thing I'd like to do is switch over to a flip key. I know how to program the transponder (or have at least perused the instructions) but the big issue is compatibility. I have one of the very bulky and unwieldy keys attached to a 4 button fob and it just isn't working for me. I'm hoping I can give you the rundown on what I've done so far and maybe someone knows enough to give me the go ahead to purchase.

while searching I found a few flip keys until I ran across this one on ebay which I like the most.

http://bit.ly/1tUKGUL

But it's from Taiwan. So I did some more searching and found this.

http://bit.ly/Z52fWK

It turns out it's for the Ford Fusion. It looks just like the one from Taiwan so I called the company selling it (Ford Key Source) and they told me that it would not be compatible with my Focus.

Here's the problem. I'd prefer a legitimate Ford key if I can find a way to make it work so I'd rather get the key for the Fusion. What do you guys think? Will the key from Taiwan work? My car is exactly what it's listed on ebay for and it says to match my current key to the one they have picture (in the red circle) and that's my key. Can I get the Fusion key to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know anything about that other key, but I know this one works:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360472852196?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

because I have it working on my 2014 focus SE

It's actually for a mazda.

I have heard people have major problems with other keys but they're buried in other threads.

EDIT: I just noticed the seller is the same. The seller is really good from my experience. If he says it will work, it should work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They both will work. That Artiway seller is the only guy I found that stands behind his sales. If you have a problem, he quickly replies. I have the old one and recently bought the new one. They work for the 2012 Focus. If he says it will work for 2013, I would believe him. Why buy the Fusion key for an outrageous amount. Don't forget you still have to have it cut. As for that, I suggest going to locksmith shop. And don't get confused. The key DOES NOT have to be cut by some laser cutter. That's bull. Both of mine have been cut by a competent locksmith shop using a regular key grinder. Just get an experienced person to do it that will take his time. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The key DOES NOT have to be cut by some laser cutter. That's bull. Both of mine have been cut by a competent locksmith shop using a regular key grinder. Just get an experienced person to do it that will take his time. Good luck.
The tough part is finding a locksmith who's willing to try. I stopped by two places that had the special grinder for these keys but refused to attempt to cut the key because "the guy who does those" wasn't in the shop that day.

Maybe it has gotten better now that these keys are more common, but last summer it was a pain finding someone to cut the key for me, at least in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bought this VW-style one about 15 months ago, also from the same seller. Gave me no problems, although it is a bit flimsy.
That's the German engineering. Looks great, works great... until 2 days after the warranty is up then it falls apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts