Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming to a stop on a off ramp when my 2002 zetec focus died. It has fuel at the fuel rail, and spark which is weak but won't even try to start. The alternator was replaced three days ago so I'm not sure if this is related but the car has plenty of cranking power. Any ideas? The battery light stays on while cranking is this normal? The car has 80,000 miles on it and did recieve the 60,000 mile service. Thanks
Stu

·
Registered
152 Posts
weak spark? Test the coil pack. How did you know it has "weak" spark? You have a KV tester?
Whats your fuel pressure and volume like? Maybe your not getting enough fuel to start. FF, fuel pump, ect.

I did not know there was a shrader valve on the focus. I checked my pump with the scanner and a lab scope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced the coil and it is ohming out fine. The fuel pressure is high, however I have not testing if the injectors or pulsing or if the fuel pressure regulator is working so I don't know if fuel is making its way into the cylinders. I was hoping there was a common problem with focus' that this problem pointed to. It is really difficult to diagnose an engine that is getting fuel and spark.
Stu

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Try unplugging the throttle Position sensor and see if it will start.

OR

Pull a plug, put a shot of starting fluid in it, reinstall the plug and try to start it.

A couple of months ago my TPS went out and when the TPS sees voltage at start up it causes the ECU to think that the car has been flooded with fuel and that you have the throttle open to help crank it dry.

You will still have spark and fuel pressure but the injectors wont pulse.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When it cranks over, does it sound right, like it has compression? I'm thinking about the timing belt...

Are there any codes??

·
Registered
20 Posts
camshaft position sensor? it should throw a code though. returnless fuel system- fuel pressure changes in conjunction with fuel pressure sending unit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts