Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 1.4 Mk1 Ford Focus which I am not currently rebuilding the engine on, it started off as a cooling circulation issue but quickly escalted when I kept finding things which needed to be repaired/replaced such as the timing belt.

As part of changing the timing belt I managed to snap both of the cam shafts where you put the locking off metal into, when I was removing the bottom pulley.

I thought it would be a simple task to buy replacement camshafts from ebay but clearly the 1.4 are now rarer then hens teeth.

I dont suppose anyone has a pair of 1.4 camshafts sitting on a shelf somewhere do they ?

Let me know if you need any more information or just want to poke fun at me for snapping them in the first place :)

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,826 Posts
Hi All

I have a 1.4 Mk1 Ford Focus which I am not currently rebuilding the engine on, it started off as a cooling circulation issue but quickly escalted when I kept finding things which needed to be repaired/replaced such as the timing belt.

As part of changing the timing belt I managed to snap both of the cam shafts where you put the locking off metal into, when I was removing the bottom pulley.

I thought it would be a simple task to buy replacement camshafts from ebay but clearly the 1.4 are now rarer then hens teeth.

I dont suppose anyone has a pair of 1.4 camshafts sitting on a shelf somewhere do they ?

Let me know if you need any more information or just want to poke fun at me for snapping them in the first place :)
If you can remove the pieces and still time the engine, run it.

· Registered
4,826 Posts
I have made my own by drilling a hole in a small piece of plate to bolt to the bell housing and then welding a piece of key stock to the plate so it engages the starter ring gear teeth on the outside of the flywheel.

· Registered
4,826 Posts
Bit nervous of the impact gun but doing everything else you mentioned is a bit beyond me so might have to go with that
Just don't go crazy. I have a 350lb battery powered impact. I run the bolt in as far as I can by hand and then use the impact. I let it click 2 or 3 times. Have not had an issue that way.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just don't go crazy. I have a 350lb battery powered impact. I run the bolt in as far as I can by hand and then use the impact. I let it click 2 or 3 times. Have not had an issue that way.
Thank you will let you know how I get on, thankfully this is just a spare car to us, although just spent way to much on having the sils replaced

· Registered
4,826 Posts
Did you loosen the cam gears or leave them alone? There is a cast flat on the camshafts you can grab with a wrench in between cylinders 1 and 2. Have an assistant hold the cam while you tighten the bolt. Sometimes the cam will advance slightly so double check your work constantly. You may have to retard the gear slightly so it lines up as you tighten. No timing tools in place for tightening!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you loosen the cam gears or leave them alone? There is a cast flat on the camshafts you can grab with a wrench in between cylinders 1 and 2. Have an assistant hold the cam while you tighten the bolt. Sometimes the cam will advance slightly so double check your work constantly. You may have to retard the gear slightly so it lines up as you tighten. No timing tools in place for tightening!
Cam gears are still tight but I was going to loosen them before I put the new belt on, the one I am replacing is the origanl to the car and its done 130,000 miles so I assumed it would have streched alittle so the gears might be slightly out for the new belt.

Are you saying I should put the new timing belt on and then use the belt and wrench to stop the engine spinnnig ? and not loosen the gears at all

· Registered
4,826 Posts
Cam gears are still tight but I was going to loosen them before I put the new belt on, the one I am replacing is the origanl to the car and its done 130,000 miles so I assumed it would have streched alittle so the gears might be slightly out for the new belt.

Are you saying I should put the new timing belt on and then use the belt and wrench to stop the engine spinnnig ? and not loosen the gears at all
Don't mess with the cam gears then. I never do if I can help it.

· Registered
4,826 Posts
Since you didn't loosen the cam gears: line up the crank and cams with the tools. Install new idler pulley(s) Slide new belt over the camshaft closest to the windshield with the belt hanging. Secure with a zip tie. Stretch belt over front camshaft. Secure with zip tie. Keep belt taught as you pull it down the front side through the idler(s) then onto the crank pulley. Install the tensioner assembly and take up some slack. If everything looks good, tension the belt and torque the tensioner. Remove timing tools and zip ties and use the crankshaft bolt to rotate the engine at least 4 times cw only. Stop a little short of tdc and install the crank pin. Rotate gently to stop on the pin. Check cam timing with tool. If good, install the lower timing cover and the crankshaft pulley.Finger tighten the crank bolt. Remove the timing tools and hit the crank bolt with the impact wrench. Rotate 4 times and recheck.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts