Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to installing ceramic coated header and i sheared off one the bolts, about 1/8" is sticking out from block.

How hard will it be to remove?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
you will most likely have to get an extractor set, and extract it that way. not going to be fun, thats for sure

any you do it, wont be fun

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW that was fast.. Yea I can see it will be one of those patient & persistence deals [bigcry]

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Man. Thats a tough one. You might end up drilling it out, tapping it bigger and putting a helicoil in. Its gonna be rough.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wimpin' out

Here's a pic earlier in the job

It's sticking 1/8" out of the block and the middle top bolt. Access is slightly restricted.

Looked into a couple of extraction kits online, a couple of well written how-tos
1 This one covers all possible worse cases
2 this one makes it seem do-able .
But i'd be on the learning curve and I'm not sure if risking screwing up my engine block is worth what I might save having my shop do it.

So on this one I'll let my local shop handle this one.
If i'm dumb enough to over torque the bolt to begin with at least i'm smart enough to know when i'm over my head.[:eek:)]

Thanks for the help guys, Info supplied helped me a lot[thumb]

·
Registered
334 Posts
After reading the first article, I'm in a very "Zen" like state : P

Thanks for those links. Made me add a couple of steps to my SVT header install, like the anti-seize grease and heat on the exhaust bolts. Nice!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad some thing positive came out of it.
The irony is that I was using a torque wrench, which wasn't clicking loose on the set torque!
MORAL:" trust your feelings Luke..."

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Seriously. My clicker is broken. I noticed torqing down some lug nuts. It just didn't feel right so I stopped. SUre enough. Broken wrench.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts