Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm installing the stock SVT suspension to my ZX3. The bolt that hold the lower control arm up to the (lets call it a) spindle(sorry, not sure if that is what it is) is not coming out. I've used a really nice impact wrench, I've used a torch and breaker bars. It looks like the bolt is coming out at an angle and it bound up. I've had a jack under it in every possible configuration. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm all out and I'm really frustrated. I thought this was going to be an easy job. I've spent over 2 hours on this one bolt. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I had the same problem. The bolt is rusted into the bushing sleive. Find someone with a stronger air compressor and air gun. Plan on getting a new LCA. I got mine for $58 from my Ford dealership.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ Mine charged me $60 for each new lower control arm and you'll need new bolts and nuts which is another $60.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a new LCA!? aw man. is it because the bushings are ruined?

·
Registered
157 Posts
YUP.....i changed mine out last month except i busted the head off the bolt...new LCA is the only way now as the nuts are welded to the arm and the bolts are ruined due to the rust....if i ever change them out again i will be using a spring compressor...

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ Diffenetly the way to go.. I wish I had.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used a spring compressor on mine on wed. and it still took me five friggen hours to do it. It's really hard to get them things moved around to just the right position.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Still better than paying $260ish if you do all the labor yourself.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's for sure i didn't have to pay for any parts because i already had the spring compressor laying in my toolbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts