Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sedan...an 05 ST. It has recently developed a very prominent vibration/rattle coming from the drivers rear (I think). It is constant, from a low speed up to 50. on the highways, u dont hear it much, unless u hit some bumps. I cannot locate it. I took out the rear carpets, and duct taped every wire i could find, including the cables for the rear seat release. It just gets louder. I even looked up into the space between the trunk metal and the interior part where the seat belts sit. I cannot figure it out.

It is like a plastic noise, vibrating like crazy. kinda like if you had a long, thin piece of metal (like, say, an antenna), and you stuck it out over an edge. then, flicked it, and it just keeps vibrating like a tuning fork. sorry, but i dont know how else to describe it. Its not metallic sounding. I am hoping there is someone on here who has seen, or dealt with this already. I searched here and the Jet. the Jet had more rattle threads, but still no answers. I have secured everything in the trunk.

I there anyone out there that has had this issue? I even had people in the back, with the seats down, listening, as I drove. noone can pinpoint it. They just said its from the drivers rear. couldnt tell if high or low. please help me. this is driving me nuts.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Exhaust heat shield could be a rattlin' I reckon...

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, its not that. its gotten awful. its coming from the rear drivers pillar. now, i need to figure out how to get in there.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Is there any loose paneling in the rear? Like anything obvious? Shake it down a little. Most of the interior parts are help on by clips going directly into the metal body. If one of these worked loose it could cause a constant rattle.

Also there is a plastic tag attached to the inside of the trunk by a wire of sorts. This flops around and rattles as well. Does it on my car. I just wrap it around other wires and it solves it for a while. (my car would drive you nuts. i have rattles everywhere... lol. interior parts removed... lol)

One other thing that rattles a lot, especially if you have a liscence plate cover or the liscence plate is bent a little, is the plate itself against the trunk.

Um what else... Lets see.. I dunno what else. Its really gonna probably come to just tearing stuff apart till you find something loose or weird.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Oh and by the way. If you do start taking interior parts off. The clips are invincible. The plastic interior is not. Don't pull hard at it. If its held on at one place don't pull it. Find out why, and get a tool in there to pry at where the clip is stuck. I got frustrated and ripped some plastic.... Annoying....

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh MAN justin, i know all about the little things ur talkin about. i actually started duct taping all over. i did that little tag that hangs (the emergency trunk release). i taped every wiere i could find. even the cables u pull to put down the rear seats. i pulled up the rear seats. i have been hitting all around the back too, looking to cause any trace of the noise. closest i got was the pillar. like, right where the little square clip is that covers the rear defrost wiring. im hoping thats it...that wire. we will see tomorrow.

·
Registered
0 Posts
well, its not that. its gotten awful. its coming from the rear drivers pillar. now, i need to figure out how to get in there.
It honestly sounds like one of your clips for that piece is not clipped in, I know in the hatch there's one that is next to impossible to clip back in in the C-Pillar

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i looked in the c-pillar today. i dont think its a clip. i am pretty sure its the wire connector for the defroster. when i hit it, it makes the same noise, and it vibrates if u flick the connector. so, i am gonna attack that and get some pics of what i am talking about.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I think I fixed it finally. I want to post up these pics so that if anyone else has this issue, they can look at them for help. I found this wire to be really loose...meaning that it wasnt attached to anything to keep it form rattling in the c-pillar. so, i secured it. no more noise at least for today. fingers are crossed....

anyways, this is what i was talking about:

Took off that little clip, and here is the green wire that moves around:

Better picture...u see the copper connectors to the defroster, and the black piece that clips on the connector (the green wire goes into that black piece):

Better pic of the black connector. If u flick it, it will vibrate like a tuning fork:

So I hope that helps others who may have this same issue. I will have to see if this keeps the noise gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts