Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Ive run into a bit of a snag after installing my 65mm TB. For some reason, I start my car and the RPM's pick up like normal, but after a few moments, its picks up and sits at 3000 rpm. As you can tell, this is a bit of a problem, as the car practically drives itself at that speed. Any idea what the issue could be? I made sure the TPS was still intact and in the correct position, I disconnected my battery in an attempt to reset my ECU to make it relearn idle. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
-Honorsystem

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
If you did an ECU reset (unplugged the battery for 20 minutes or unplugged the battery and layed on the horn, brake pedal for 2 minutes or so) and that didn't work............

Try to flip the TPS 180 degrees. What I mean is say right now if you look at the TPS, say one hole is A and one hole is B. The wiring plus is pointing down and towards the back of the car.

Take the screws out and put 'A' where 'B' was and put 'B' where 'A' was, ie: spin it 180 degrees. The wiring plug will now be pointing upwards and towards the front of the car.

Do another ECU reset and try that.

This typically solves the problem on many many of these installs, including mine when I had that exact same TB.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you can, see if you are pulling any codes.

Also, try spraying some fuel injection cleaner around the mating point of the tb and intake manifold. If the idle goes down, you have a leak.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Here's my fc tb story that actually happened tonight, so hopefully the ending will help you and many others...

After nearly stripping out the torx drive on the front passenger tb mounting screw due to 150k miles of grime, I get the old tb out of there only to realize the new tps screws (M4x10mm) are too short. Keep in mind this car is my only mode of transportation on a friday night.

Re-installed the golden oldie, went to parts store, got some M4x20mm screws. Finally installed the new tb, then got some good GT4 time in while waiting for the gasket sealant to cure.

... Started the engine, idling at 1400-1500 rpm. CRAP! right? I check the tps holes, they were in 00-02atx (I have an 02atx). So I do some reasoning and realize that if I turn the tps toward the 03atx/5sp position, the tps will register "less open"... but the damn screws I bought are too small for those holes! So I held it there while the wifey turned the car on, and sure as the sun willl rise tomorrow, 800-900 rpm idle.

Went and bought some M5x25mm screws and mounted the tps in the 03atx/5sp position and it works great! Try this out, hopefully you havent wasted a buck or two on screws already...

I'll add this to the ford assembly dee dee deeeee list, now comprised of a dented factory header, an '01 dpfe sensor and wire harness on an '02, a replacement accesory belt idler pulley that is in interference with the engine mount (wtf!!), and an '03 tps on an '02. Thanks, ford, for making my life complicated as hell.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, well I've got the TPS in the 00-02 MTX position, and I can get it to run properly now, but now my car idles really low (like below 700rpms) and really rough, to the point where I'm afraid to even try driving it. I dont know what to do at this point, I havent put it back to the stock TB yet, but Im likely going to if I cant figure out the problem. Im pretty frustrated right now, so if anyone can tell me some way to fix this, that would be quite helpful.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Adjust the IDLE SCREW STOP..... you can adjust that to UP the idle......

See what works the best, try to get the idle up around 850 or so. You may have to adjust this a few times til you get it perfect.

You don't have to do an ECU reset when you do this (for the record).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried that, no such luck, it'll idle fine, but I still get a hanging idle around 3000k rpm while driving. I bought it used, I think the spring is bad so it stays open too easy (its all rusted over and really easy to press). Im back to stock now, so if I decide to try another TB, I'll buy it new. Might cost more, but at least I know it'll work right....

Thanks for all the help!
-Honorsystem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts