Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZTW. I've recently lost most of my FM reception after losing my AM reception about 1 year ago. I thought to myself, "Self, just pull it out and check the connections." Seemed easy enough.

Check. Pulled it out, checked connections, everything appears to look normal.

My wife has a 2004 ZTS. In a rare moment of genius, I said to myself, "Self, why not just pop hers out too and put yours in there? That way you'll know whether it's the radio unit, or the antennae wiring." Made sense to me so off I go.

Two hours later, I'm typing this in the middle of an "OH @$#@Q%!" moment. After popping my wife's unit out, and putting it back in, it doesn't get any power in either of our cars. Mine works (it's the unit by the way that's bad), at least, it draws power and will play noise. Her unit does NOTHING.

How could I have screwed this up, and is there anything I can do that will keep me out of the doghouse?

Any and all advice, admonishments, and encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
if i read correctly yours works in her car, so to make her happy put that one in her car and you ride in silence until you buy a new h/u. or you can say you need an exhaust to make the ride more enjoyable

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
You should consider yourself in the doghouse no matter what you do , but do like FatRide and Zx said and start with the fuses .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I am assuming that we are talking about the fuses that are in the unit itself right? I assume this because my unit works in her car.

Where would I find the fuses? Is there some literature/diagrams out there that i haven't been able to find? Would I be able to take these fuses down to NAPA/Autozone and get replacements (assuming that I can a. find them and b. remove them w/o breaking anything else!!)?

Thanks again for all the help.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I would start checking the fuses in the fuse box first before taking the unit back out . I don't know the numbers of the fuses . Just be sure to pull the fuses completely out or you could get a false reading leaving them installed and checking.
And you should be able to pick those fuses up at just about any parts store , Napa , Autozone , Advanced .

·
Registered
213 Posts
I went and had a look at my stock head unit (it lives on the floor in my basement) and I cant see any fuses anywhere on it.

Since your stereo works fine in her car, I don't see how it can be anything to do with the onboard fuses on her car. If there's current for yours, there should be for hers. Try checking that you've got a potential diff between the yellow wire and ground and the red wire and ground while you've got the key in the ignition and turned to activate accessories, if you've got >12V then there's no issue with fuses. Assuming you wired hers back in correctly (which is probably worth doublechecking) then it comes down to her having a faulty unit.

If that's the case, its time to buy a new headunit. Maybe you can make it up to her by buying her one with an ipod hookup or sat radio, help dig yourself out of the hole you've made yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts