Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking to spend some of my tax refund money on upgrades for my 2014 5sp SE Hatch.

I'm contemplating an engine mount upgrade, and I have two options in mind that I would like some advice on.

Option 1: Stock psmm, upgraded rmm

Option 2: Upgraded PSMM, with E-Focus rmm

The car is a daily driver, and my wife rides with me frequently, and she is EXTREMELY sensitive to noise and vibration. I myself am not a fan of extreme nvh, although I don't mind some(I find that the focus has quite a bit of nvh even in stock form).

I currently have the E-rmm installed. Before my old 2012 focus was totalled, I had the CFM performance lower mount installed in it, and I noticed almost no difference between that unit and the e-rmm.

I'm strongly considering the adjustable rear mount, I think it's from FSworks (IIRC?) Can anyone comment on this mount?

Which option would provide the best performance, and which would have the worst side-effects?

What are my options for psmm, or transmission mounts?(Must be under $200)

What do you guys feel is the best RMM?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I would appreciate any answers I can get. Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you do a psmm you will get a lot of nvh. Brand wise your options are Jbr, AWR, or TTR.

For rmm, just stick with the efocus mount if you want to keep the vibes down. Efocus mount does just fine. Don’t go back to the cfm mount that had the removable pins to adjust the stiffness was actually recalled because the mount would disintegrate and fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elemental,

What mounts do you have?

I wouldn't mind having a little more nvh, as I can tell no real difference between the stock mount and the e-mount. If anything the E-mount does a better job of reducing nvh.

Several years ago I drove a 1999 chevy cavalier with the OHV 2.2L, that engine has no balance shafts. I had a solid poly dogbone mount on it, along with a fenderwell CAI and a full custom exhaust and header, cobbled together out of the cheapest parts I could find. That car shook and rattled and squeaked, and was loud as all hell. I drove my wife around in it for about a year, and she tolerated it, although she would start to complain after about a half hour of being in the car, and forget about rolling the windows down. The exhaust was that loud. LOL.

I don't think she would tolerate that level of uncomfortable a second time around. God that car was awful, which is why I'm afraid of going too far with mounts or exhaust.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I currently have a torque solutions rmm, and TTR psmm and drivers side upper mounts. Nvh is there and it shakes some of my interior panels. I’ve had jbr drag rmm which is the stiffest mount you can buy at 88duro. That’s a vibration machine. Also have had the jbr psmm and that too was stiff. But didn’t like how it raised the passenger side of the engine up some and made engine off axis a bit

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the important question is would an upgraded rmm, like the steeda(unless there is a better/more affordable alternative), be worth the cash layout over the e-rmm that I already have?

I've seen mixed reviews of psmm's, including some people that say that they are almost as smooth as stock, when combined with a good rmm. I take it this has not been your experience?

Also, I was mistaken in saying that my old mount was CFM, it was actually the torque solutions mount, which felt exactly the same as the e-rmm to me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah those rmm are pretty similar. The awr psmm is pretty smooth because it had a horizontal bolt that connects inside a poly cylinder. Ttr has some more vibes because it’s a arm to the block that bolts thru a square poly area. Jbr prob has most because it’s a vertical rod that the poly circles and arm to block go around

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you get the fswerks rmm expect nvh. I have it and it vibrates when I turn it on or when it's just in idle. My wife doesn't like it. To me, it's not so bad.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i've at one point had all three engine mounts upgraded and it sucked. I'm currently just running a upgraded RMM and i think that is the best for daily driving. I have the COBB rear mount and love it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I guess the important question is would an upgraded rmm, like the steeda(unless there is a better/more affordable alternative), be worth the cash layout over the e-rmm that I already have?

I've seen mixed reviews of psmm's, including some people that say that they are almost as smooth as stock, when combined with a good rmm. I take it this has not been your experience?

Also, I was mistaken in saying that my old mount was CFM, it was actually the torque solutions mount, which felt exactly the same as the e-rmm to me.
Cp-e has a rear mount ...
http://cp-e.com/shop/product/ford-focus-rs-xflex-rear-motor-mount-stage1/
A bit less harsh compared with cfm one

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just got a really good deal on a slightly used steeda mount. 91.50 shipped. It comes with both bushings, so I'll have some adjustability. I may go ahead and put the stiff bushing in for now, and if I decide to upgrade another mount later on I can always put the soft bushing back in the rmm to balance out the nvh somewhat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the input guys! Jburks, I have a feeling you are spot on. The cavalier I mentioned earlier at one time had a poly upper mount as well, which was okay untill I put the header on.. the drone on that car with the header was so bad that I immediately removed the upper mount.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am wondering though, if upgrading one of the drivers side mounts would be more comfortable and also more effective than doing the psmm? I feel like having both mounts on one side be solid, and both mounts on the other side being stock is a recipe for unpredictable engine movement, torque steer, and excessive nvh.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?

·
Registered
952 Posts
she is EXTREMELY sensitive to noise...

...What are my options for psmm, or transmission mounts?(Must be under $200)
The answer is none, don't do them. I have all three on mine and it shakes everything,... EV-ER-Y-THANG. Use your imagination. She'll hate it and you.

Also, if you do decide on an upper mount, do both, not just one. You only get the full benefit if the motor is supported evenly across it's mounting points.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all of the input guys. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like the nvh from upgrading even one upper mount is pretty severe. I'll probably just stick with the steeda lower mount and leave everything else stock. I have a hard time believing that the upper mounts provide enough performance benefit to really justify the cost anyway.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I have a hard time believing that the upper mounts provide enough performance benefit to really justify the cost anyway.
Why do you have a hard time believing if you swapped out your oem mounts for poly ones that you wouldn't notice & feel the difference?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Filix,

I didn't say there is no difference. I said I have a hard time believing that the amount of performance improvement justifies the cost.

I just read through the entire thread on the TTR transmission mount, and although I am out of money for upgrades at the moment, I am very tempted to get the transmission mount. Reading all of the reviews, and looking at the design, it appears that the trans mount allows the engine assembly to rotate, but not to slide back and forth or up and down. I can see the trans mount giving a MAJOR improvement in traction, wheelhop, and shifting precision, while transferring very little to no nvh, because the engine is still allowed to rock. There are several people in that thread saying that they noticed little or no difference in nvh adding the trans mount, over just an upgraded rmm. So in the future, I think I will at least try out the transmission mount, but I will definitely stay away from the passenger side mount, as it seems that is where most of the nvh gets transferred.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Filix,

I didn't say there is no difference. I said I have a hard time believing that the amount of performance improvement justifies the cost.

I just read through the entire thread on the TTR transmission mount, and although I am out of money for upgrades at the moment, I am very tempted to get the transmission mount. Reading all of the reviews, and looking at the design, it appears that the trans mount allows the engine assembly to rotate, but not to slide back and forth or up and down. I can see the trans mount giving a MAJOR improvement in traction, wheelhop, and shifting precision, while transferring very little to no nvh, because the engine is still allowed to rock. There are several people in that thread saying that they noticed little or no difference in nvh adding the trans mount, over just an upgraded rmm. So in the future, I think I will at least try out the transmission mount, but I will definitely stay away from the passenger side mount, as it seems that is where most of the nvh gets transferred.
Thats what I found too.....I swapped out the dsm for a VF since I had to remove it to replace the reverse switch so I replaced the oem for a VF one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts