Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am new to the car world and need some help purchasing my first ford focus. It is going for 1500 and I am going to be paying 1200 for it, so seeing that price, I know there is something wrong with the car, and here is what is...

It needs two front lower control arms, with the ball joint and bushings.

It needs a back bushing too.

The car is a 2000 zx3

I dont know how much the parts are and how much the labor is. I also dont know how bad these parts effect the car. Is this car worth the money and how much am I looking at to fix these problems.

Any and all help is useful, thank you.

EDIT: I have decided not to get this car, Thank you to everyone who helped me make up my mind on this!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
1200 is a good price if it is sound otherwise. We didn't really get much info about the car from you though to offer advice. Is it auto or man? How many miles? How are the tires? Hows the inside? Does it run great? You know whut I mean?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you don't know much about car parts and how to work on cars I would recommend you consider steering clear of a 2000 zx3. I had one and it was very burdensome how many parts failed on it. If you are determined to have a 1st gen zx3, then buy a 2002 or newer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How did you find out that it needs those things? Did you have someone check it out for you, or did the seller tell you?

If you are looking at cars in that price range, I would suggest that you find a friend or someone who is car savvy that will help you inspect a car, or find a shop that you can trust that will give it a once over (with the seller's permission) at a reasonable price. Usually they will be able to estimate costs of the repairing any deficiencies that they find......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Found it on Craigslist. The information is from the seller. Here's the link: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4828952856.html

Update: After looking at the post I'd be a little skeptical of this one. He says it needs TWO tires, but it is generally bad practice to get some new tires and not replace all of them, so really you'd probably want to get FOUR new tires, unless the other two are practically brand new. Also, he states that the car is on a donut right now, but doesn't say much more. It would be good to know the condition of the wheel that the ruined tire was on to be sure that there isn't any damage to that as well. Also, how has it been driven since it's been on the donut? Technically speaking, donuts aren't meant for daily use, nor are they really rated for speeds greater than about 55 mph. From the pictures the donut appears to be on the rear right, so that begs the question of how long it's been there and whether or not he's had a rotation since it was put there. It's also a manual, so it would be good to know whether the clutch has ever been replaced, this car has about as many miles on it as mine did when my clutch went, and that's not a cheap fix. Finally, just looked at KBB for the fair market value of this car in the area the seller says he's from, and he is quite a ways above the sell price... Here is what I got on KBB http://www.kbb.com/ford/focus/2000-...pe=private-party&persistedcondition=excellent Even if we pretend it is in excellent condition, he is way over the market value. If you can't get him to come down more, I'd have to say stay away from this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't know much about car parts and how to work on cars I would recommend you consider steering clear of a 2000 zx3. I had one and it was very burdensome how many parts failed on it. If you are determined to have a 1st gen zx3, then buy a 2002 or newer.
Grimwolf found the correct car. It is a manual and I do not know how many miles are on it. As far as the inside of the car goes, I am not concered, as if I got into this car, I would be re-doing it anyway. I am mainly concered with how it runs and how it will run in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found it on Craigslist. The information is from the seller. Here's the link: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4828952856.html

Update: After looking at the post I'd be a little skeptical of this one. He says it needs TWO tires, but it is generally bad practice to get some new tires and not replace all of them, so really you'd probably want to get FOUR new tires, unless the other two are practically brand new. Also, he states that the car is on a donut right now, but doesn't say much more. It would be good to know the condition of the wheel that the ruined tire was on to be sure that there isn't any damage to that as well. Also, how has it been driven since it's been on the donut? Technically speaking, donuts aren't meant for daily use, nor are they really rated for speeds greater than about 55 mph. From the pictures the donut appears to be on the rear right, so that begs the question of how long it's been there and whether or not he's had a rotation since it was put there. It's also a manual, so it would be good to know whether the clutch has ever been replaced, this car has about as many miles on it as mine did when my clutch went, and that's not a cheap fix. Finally, just looked at KBB for the fair market value of this car in the area the seller says he's from, and he is quite a ways above the sell price... Here is what I got on KBB http://www.kbb.com/ford/focus/2000-...pe=private-party&persistedcondition=excellent Even if we pretend it is in excellent condition, he is way over the market value. If you can't get him to come down more, I'd have to say stay away from this one.
Hi grimwolf thank you for looking into this car so much! Means a lot, didnt want to post the link cause I didnt want someone to steal the car from me. Anyway, the owner of it said about 2 days ago they got all 4 tires replaced and new. I looked at the Kelly blue book and wow! I did not know the car was not worth that much. My brother and dad are very knowledged when it comes to cars and I can get ford parts cheep and easy seeing as my dad works for a ford company. I will text the seller now and talk about the price and what I found out about that, and I am now considering getting this inspected by a shop to find out all of the problems before I buy this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you find out that it needs those things? Did you have someone check it out for you, or did the seller tell you?

If you are looking at cars in that price range, I would suggest that you find a friend or someone who is car savvy that will help you inspect a car, or find a shop that you can trust that will give it a once over (with the seller's permission) at a reasonable price. Usually they will be able to estimate costs of the repairing any deficiencies that they find......
I will contact the seller and see if he/she will get this checked out by a shop, and my brother and dad are very skilled when it comes to working with cars, so I am sure I will be getting some help on some things when parts need fixed/replaced. Thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi grimwolf thank you for looking into this car so much! Means a lot, didnt want to post the link cause I didnt want someone to steal the car from me. Anyway, the owner of it said about 2 days ago they got all 4 tires replaced and new. I looked at the Kelly blue book and wow! I did not know the car was not worth that much. My brother and dad are very knowledged when it comes to cars and I can get ford parts cheep and easy seeing as my dad works for a ford company. I will text the seller now and talk about the price and what I found out about that, and I am now considering getting this inspected by a shop to find out all of the problems before I buy this.
See if they will let you take it to your mechanic, always good to get an opinion from someone you trust. Let us know what develops [burnout]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, if he isn't going to budge, I'd say no. The car isn't worth what he wants, if it were in perfect condition it wouldn't even be worth that much. Try broadening the range of your search online. Have you looked on autotrader? I'd definitely talk it over with more people though, one opinion is seldom enough for a solid decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly, if he isn't going to budge, I'd say no. The car isn't worth what he wants, if it were in perfect condition it wouldn't even be worth that much. Try broadening the range of your search online. Have you looked on autotrader? I'd definitely talk it over with more people though, one opinion is seldom enough for a solid decision.
Thank you so much grimwolf! I am going to stay away from this one. I dont even know what is wrong with the car really. Thanks a lot! I will continue my search for a mod-able hatchback focus!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts