Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I posted about putting either water or diesel in my 2010 focus SE (2.0 Liter). I added a can of Sea Foam and filled up the rest of the tank with 91 octane and that helped a ton. I've continued to put in the 91 octane when I getto half a tank and it's been running ok. This morning I take my car and it's blowing white/blue smoke...I figure lots of condenstaion and water in tank since it was very cold here last night and frost on the ground. Well I got another can of Sea Foam, got home and revved the engine to try and burn off what I thought was moisture and now I notice thick black oily substance below my tailpipe...looks and feels like oil! I am not sure if it's just soot and water mixed or if it is truly oil. THe car is running much worse today and feels like it's missing. ANy help would be very much appreciated!!
FYI - I put a few gallons of something in it from a gas station that was apparently closed for some time so I had no idea of this nor do I know what was in that tank when I put it in my car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The black residues is most likely the stuff the seafoam removed from the combustion chamber. Why dont you have your fuel tank emptied if theres diesel in it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THing is I have no idea what is really in there. And al my fault, I called the number of the supposed station owner and of course no answer so I'm guessing at this point. It was only a few gallons and everything I was told before helped...such as the Sea Foam, higher octane gas. Diesel will make it run sluggishly but the ration of good gas to diesel was like 4 to 1 so that's why I think there was a ton of water I put in the tank from a closed down bad gast station. Do I let it run?

Also, the smoke is thick white smoke..doesn't smell like oil to me...but there is a little blue smoke at idle

·
Registered
505 Posts
You can easily buy a syphon from autozone, its like $20. Try to empty it all out, run that in your lawn mower or something...then put some fresh gas in it.

Good thing you didn't do the opposite, put gas in a diesel, because you'd be looking at a $3000 fuel pump, injectors and lines!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Run it empty then fill up.... burnning half a tank and fill is not helping. Then change your spark plugs you should be good then change your fuel filter as well

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
I would drain that tank of gas. clean out the inside with gasoline, drain that, then fill it up, and see what happens.

The diesel can not burn the same as the gasoline. The un burnt vaporized diesel will come out of the exhaust as a thick heavy white smoke. It will also create the misfire.

Sea foam and higher octane, i have never heard of that as a solution. But a quick google shows that is is. The article i read said it would misfire and sputter, you will need to put a few tanks of clean fuel and injector cleaner through the system to clean it out, then replace the fuel filter.

I have seen a few people who filled their tanks with diesel, or partially mixed with diesel. I have always removed the fuel tank to clean out the mess. then add a fuel system cleaner to their fresh tank of gas. i suggest doing this, its the best way. running it through is the easiest way, not the best way.

have you tried taking a fuel sample to see what it looks like/smells like? have you tired adding a little dry gas to remove any water in there?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It sounds like carbon buildup to me, which would be expected with diesel, and then so much FI cleaner.

Now is a good time to change that fuel filter as well, but without a pic, I'd guess that the black you're seeing is carbon. The white smoke is likely from that as well, as carbon tends to create a thick white smoke usually accompanied with some steam that you should be able to feel with your hand behind the exhaust- it will get wet. When the car just sits there idling early in the morning, then the carbon buildup gets water in it, and it can look like a thick black substance when it's merely water mixed with carbon buildup.

Best wishes. Time will tell, but I'd lay off the FI cleaner for a few tanks. You're ok to go back to 87 octane after a tank also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I'm in the process of draining my tank completely and following the advice from above. I'll repost once I'm done doing the work.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok before I really get started what is the best way to empty the tank...I'm quite sure there's a screen in the down tube to prevent siphoning (just a guess). WHat is the best way I can accomplish this at home without wrecking anything? I assume I have to disconnect the tube at the fuel filter and do the turn key mthod. What am I missing? Any good tutorials out there?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You must remove the fuel tank and the fuel pump to drain it. That can be daunting if you're not equipped for the operation, and judging from your post, that's why I figured I'd suggest simply adding fuel and changing the fuel filter after running a few tanks through the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I don't have all the tool for that job I am sure. So depsite the ugliness of how it runs I could theoretically continue to drive it. I am hoping the feeling of misses is just the crud that is working its way through. THe problem is when I'm at half a taank or less it gets really bad and dies so that's why I have had to add gas before running it all the way down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some investigative work what was pumped in my car was biodiesel. I fully expect my filter to be a waxy mess and will take some time to get all that crap out of the fuel system. They had one sign that wasn't illuminated at night that said biodiesel. No other signage anywhere at that station. Granted my fault but come on, there was 2 or 3 cars with blue smoke billowing out of their cars tonight from that station. Anyways, that's what's in the tank and I have to believe most has worked it's way through the system assuming it mixes with the gas decently. Thanks for all the replies and help. Appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts