Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have scoured this site for answers as to what my issue may be. I've come to a few conclusions, so sorry if I'm being redundant here.

I own a 2005 Ford Focus zx4 ses with 118,000+ Miles. Last April I had my whole brake setup replaced. Front rotors, pads, and rear drums and shoes.

Recently, while driving, my car has been making this really obnoxious roaring noise from the rear (I think) which is more prodominate when the seats are folded down. I understand that the bearings are pressed into the drums on this particular model, so I would find it hard to believe that they would be going out already (which was originally my assumption)

I jacked up my car the other day on my lunch break and inspected my rear wheels. I checked for play in the wheels and even spun them around and they were quiet as a mouse. The noise really starts getting louder as I drive 35 MPH and up. It's horrible on the expressway. My tires in the rear seem to be in good shape, have plenty of air and tread on them. It's really bugging the crap out of me.

I don't really have the money to take it to a mechanic right now, and if it's something I can fix myself I would like to do that instead. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
When the shop replaced the drums, were the bearing pre installed or not? It sounds like the rear wheel bearings.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Characterize the noise..................

if like 'rrRRrr, rrRRrr, rrRRrr', and rapid, cyclic, and repetitive with repetition increasing frequency with speed then tires.

Bearing will be more of a solid RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR increasing with speed.

Often to pick up bearing noise with tire off ground you have to spin tire as fast as you can, slower may not make noise. Faster and it often then barely makes the noise but you can then tell that's it.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The bearings must be torqued to 173 FT.lbs period. Our cars do not like cheaper bearings either.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Yep, don't hit that torque and you can expect to have the bearing go bad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise I'm hearing is like a constant RRRRRRRRRR noise. It increases with speed and when I let off the gas it slows down as my car slows down. It almost sounds like a noisy muffler if it had a hole in it but I know that's not it.

I didn't have a shop put on the drums i did it my self and they were pre pressed

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm willing to make a bet that the bearing only make noise under a certain amount of load and speed. Could need a re packing. Cheap bearings?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Bearings.
Either not enough torque on the axle nut or the bearing is just bad (common in cheaper brands--I use SKF on mine, but even they will wear eventually).

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm willing to make a bet that the bearing only make noise under a certain amount of load and speed. Could need a re packing. Cheap bearings?

Haven't done Focus bearings have you?
Maybe you should step aside and let those who have offer advice ...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
So I'm just supposed to let you peddle bad information?

Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think what you meant to say was, "hey Shane welcome back to the forum! You have offered great advice in the past but in this case you must be mistaken, we cannot re pack bearings on these. I know your were a GM mechanic, maybe your thinking of those?"

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That would have been better.

Over in Brakes, Chassis & Suspension one member even posted on how to re-grease the sealed bearings - though I still doubt his tricks work on all.

Some delicate work to accomplish that without causing problems with the seals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoa guys no need to be hostile. I was leaning towards bearings my self. In fact..I filmed a short video to replicate the noise. It's plain as day in the driver seat and when I get to about 70mph it makes my whole door panel vibrate. I suspect it's coming from the rear passenger side.

The drums I bought were brakebest from O'Reilly auto parts. I believe they were roughly 25 dollars per side. Don't quote me on that. I just want to get back to enjoying my tunes without having to blow my passengers out of the car lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You can correct me without having being an ass. If you like it so well, you can always pop back down to hell
They are a sealed bearing, as fronts are too. You can get the drums w/ pressed in bearings or not, as you can get the bearing by its self. Make sure the bearing is pressed in proper & the drum/ bearing slides over the stud, making sure the bearing seal is on the bottom of the stud (axle) & then torque the axle nut to the proper torque.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BUMP!

Fixed my issue! Pulled the drums off tonight. Thought it was the rear passenger but was actually the rear driver side. That bearing was blown to hell and had grease seeping out of it.

Took the old drums off and got new ones under warranty at O'Reilly. Quiet as a mouse now!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for posting the Fix!

Nice to be quiet again, always funny how telling the side is quite difficult. (PITA)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tx for posting the Fix!

Nice to be quiet again, always funny how telling the side is quite difficult. (PITA)
Sailor... The biggest challenge was getting those darn dust caps off. Annnd where I live it's been raining so my driveway is a muddy mess. Other than that it was a piece of cake. Took me an hour tops. Now to find out what's causing my strut mounts to fail prematurely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts