Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2004 focus svt with 103k but the car does not start. The plugs were old and I replace them along with the wires but still no go. I pulled the plug after trying and smelled gasoline so I know it’s getting fuel.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you everyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
picking up a spark checker today to confirm spark on the plugs. then will test fuel pressure. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spark light checked out on all 4 cylinders. Going to check the injectors to see if they’re clogged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The old injectors looks rough and unclean. New injectors didn’t do anything though. Going to have to tap into the fuel line and test the pressure.

Anyone have any guides I can reference for this? I don’t see any ports to screw into for fuel pressure testing on the rail..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd probably do a compression test before chasing down fueling issues, FWIW. If you are hearing the fuel pump come on with the key, and there is fuel pressure / plugs are wet, and you have spark, the missing link may be compression...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m about ready to pull the whole thing and rebuild it.. I’ll do a compression test tomorrow..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried to compression test using my HF universal testing kit but none of the fittings matched. Gonna have to find one for this focus specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
Do you know if the timing belt is actually connected? You could remove the valve cover turn the engine over, and see if everything is moving. I would really focus on the mechanical stuff first. Hopefully you can get the right adapter to test the compression.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,267 Posts
Do you know if the timing belt is actually connected? You could remove the valve cover turn the engine over, and see if everything is moving. I would really focus on the mechanical stuff first. Hopefully you can get the right adapter to test the compression.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
This. You can pull the valve cover in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,267 Posts
Replaced the fuel pump assembly.. still no go

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Have you done the checks suggested by everyone else? Compression? Vacuum lines? Verified the intake boots aren't leaking. Mine was doing the same thing and it was broken vacuum lines. Or...you can keep.throwing parts at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts