Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My focus St I'm thinking head might have gone keeps losing water need top up every couple weeks water in bottle looks rusty n slighty creamy on oil cap is it the worst scenario or have others got suggestions please

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

How long since the coolant was changed?

(It doesn't like running on Water BTW.)

Look for slow leakage before worrying too much as that is the most common issue for an 11 year old car.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
What engine always helps with getting answers, most of us on here are not from the UK (need to wait for what to us is the early AM hours to hear from more of our British members) so St as a model for that year doesn't correspond with a version we can guess at for sure.

Unless you're seeing water in the oil or white smoke out the pipe I wouldn't worry about the head or a head gasket.

5 yrs. is the max life for the proper coolant, so I'd guess a flush & fill plus looking for leaks is in order.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it's a 2003 st170 cAnt see water in oil or white smoke but got slight cream on oil cap wen taken off just worried head is going but will do. Full flush

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Shucks, wasn't thinking quick - should have realized ST170 for that year & I drew a blank. (model is called an SVT here, we had an ST model in '05-'07 and again now from '12 up)

Coolant was "gold" here as used in my '04, what someone added to your new one over the years could affect that color. A little crud if not excessive isn't a worry, if that bottle had a LOT of tan/brown in it it would be more of a concern. Rust can happen from the iron block when coolant gets old & looses it's anti-corrosion properties, one of the reasons for changing it out for fresh.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what do u think of the colour of the coolant obv I will flush n fill it but if it comes back the same colour it is now is that a concern

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Wouldn't worry about the rusty color, might not get it all out with one change but it's not likely to be a problem going forward as fresh should stop the corrosion & there's nothing "thin" that's iron in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 reasons for white sludge on filler cap one is car not run very often or head from what you say I'd say head you need to sort it before engine fails which it will .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found the leak was water pump and after running car can't c no sludge on oil cap car has power don't overheat fan kicks in any chance cud b because car was sat for a while n not used

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Water pump seals have a tendency to go when engine hasn't been run for a long time.

It is a possible contributing factor.

·
Registered
414 Posts
car was sat for a while n not used
Colder temps and short trips will collect the white crud on the cap. A good long run will melt it and the water vapor causing it will evaporate out of the oil and be burned through the engine via the PCV valve. Perfectly normal when cooler weather sets in and car lives a life of short trips/sitting enabling condensation to collect in the oil and not be "burned" out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thanks car will b in daily use now drove it today no problems at all everything working fine but did notice lil bit of water on carpet under glove box thinking cud b heater matrix any ideas and how easy is s dash to take out on one of these

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Water can drip into the air inlet for the heater if the cowl plastic is damaged. It's SUPPOSED to be tucked under & channel any water to the side, but if it gets cracked or clogged up you can get water right down through the fan area onto the floor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts