Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to tackle the supposed to be easy fuel filter change today, not being to wise and doing this around 6:30 with the sun going down quick. I did everything as I was told to do on the forum and finally after having one of my workers leave work to grab me a long extension, I got the old one out and put the new in..I restart the car and watch below to make sure there were no leaks which none could be spotted. Now I can not figure this out but my ABS and Trac. light are on, now the owner before had installed the control switch to disable the traction control but I did not even touch this before. I replaced both fuses for the ABS but nope still lights are on. also I look behind my car and there is spots on the ground shine a light on my exhaust tip and its all wet with gas. I don't know whats going on here and I need my car to be good in 2days or my plans are ruined..please help anyone

·
Registered
383 Posts
you might have to visit the stealership if you need it done fast

·
Registered
347 Posts
first question, where is the fuel filter, im not to fimiluar with the SVT. 2nd, did u have to unplug anything to get to the filter, via electrical wires, such and such, and 3rd, gas coming from the exhaust shouldent have anything to do with a filter change.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i obviously know its near the fuel tank, ive done many on different types of cars, and my thought is that maybe you hit a wire that goes to your ABS/TC sensor. there both one in the same. so i would check all connections from all sensors.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
First...

Don't panic.

Second. Retrace your steps.

The ABS and traction control lights are completely unrelated. However, the fuel at the rear of the car is a concern.

How much effort was needed to remove the filter? If it was a lot, then you could have worked a fuel line loose close to the tank.

Follow the lines from the filter BACK towards the fuel tank.

Be sure to inspect them as you go. If the car was jacked up at an agle, it could be residual fuel from the filter change flowing down the frame rail.

Start with that.

As for the ABS light and traction control. Check your brake fluid level. If the car is at an angle, it could cause the level to drop and "fool" the sensor in the ABS pump.

At the very least, clear the codes and see if the light comes back on. If an aftermarket TC defeat switch is used, you may have bigger problems.

Start with these items and then consider a dealership.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um nope besides disconnecting the tubes connected to the filter, the fuse needed to be disconnected then had the car depressurized. The filter is under the passenger side right in front of the tank. I know whats coming out of the exhaust doesnt have anything to do with the filter but it worries me

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Do me a favor and use the quote button.

It's difficult to determine who you are responding to.

Not bashing, just trying to help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WeeAsp well when I was doing the filter at first there was alil harder effort going into it but I checked everything twice before jacking her back down, the car was at angle. first when I checked the codes there was a fuel rail sensor code going but i cleared this. also there was only the abs and trac light on and when i replaced the fuses the brake light came on now also.

·
Registered
347 Posts
did u check the level on the brake resevuar? i know with hyundais and mitsus, if the level is low, the light is on

·
Registered
347 Posts
also, definetly check all the fuses again, just to double and triple check, you never know.

·
Registered
347 Posts
it would throw the brake light for sure. maybe the abs/TC it sounds like you have a bad sensor wire somewhere somehow for the abs/tc light

·
Registered
347 Posts
id say for sure, and for the heck of it, just double check your fuses, and take a look at the wires all around your "work area" me working on cars, have done some wierd things in my days

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill go out and check all the areas again i know the fuses are good i looked at all them a few times over and even replaced them just in case.

·
Registered
347 Posts
cool, im still on, so ill be waiting for feed back.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
What did the brake fluid level look like?

ABS and TC are linked systems. If one was too far out of whack, it could trip the other.

How much fuel was on the ground? Based on your description, I am more inclined to believe that it is residual.

I say this without the benefit of seeing it myself...

·
Registered
347 Posts
i agree with you weeasp, if i also would see it, i probably would be able to help more, but were all kinda shooting in the dark

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright so i just went and doubled checked everything, all fuses are good one of the wires had fallen of the T/C switch so i just took it off and put the fuse back, I tested it and works fine. the brake light is off now, i had filled the reservoir so maybe that helped but the other 2 lights have me losted

1 - 20 of 37 Posts