Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I would like to say that i have read several threads but i have no idea what your all referring too!! if possible i would very much so like a pointer as its the knackers yard else

My car is about to be sold as we are getting a new car at the end of next month (mobility car) but would prefer someone to enjoy my car rather then scrap it

Ive had it checked by numerous mechanics,had it plugged in to check the electrics and nothing,this is my last resort

Basically there are two issues:
1) when im driving,generally pulling away whilst the car does not die i lose power along with my speedo,i then have to move from 2nd to 3rd back to 2nd till the speedo and power come back and god help who evers in front of me!

2)when i gather speed there is a noise very similar to a dynamo coming from the rear of the car,drivers side.

shes recently had new piston things(sorry im not technical) head cam thing flattened,new sparks.....im sorry i dont know the technical terms[???:)]

hoping you can help

julie

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Julie, here are my guesses.

1. your instrument cluster has a loose or broken pin where it plugs in, shutting down the gauges. The cluster has to be removed and many times the green power wire wasnt seated properly from the factory, or has broken due to fatigue.

2. the whirling noise in the rear of the car is one of two things, either a wheel bearing or a majorly cupped tire do to, poor alignment of the rear tires, broken spring or worn out shocks which these cars are noted for,

Hope this helps FRED

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I just sold my old car after i bought a brand new Focus.
I had my old car for 12 years an liked it very much. But it too had 'issues'.
I knew the car was a good car, but the dealer woud only give me scrap value for it.
I kept my old car, and after asking around, my building's caretaker's brother bought my old car for the amount the dealer was going to give me.
But at least i know someone is going to keep my nice old car going.
They are planning to store it for the winter in the Dad's garage.

So look around for someone who is wanting a car cheap, young, who willl put up with the issues, and basically give it away.
Better than the junkyard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Julie, here are my guesses.

1. your instrument cluster has a loose or broken pin where it plugs in, shutting down the gauges. The cluster has to be removed and many times the green power wire wasnt seated properly from the factory, or has broken due to fatigue.

2. the whirling noise in the rear of the car is one of two things, either a wheel bearing or a majorly cupped tire do to, poor alignment of the rear tires, broken spring or worn out shocks which these cars are noted for,

Hope this helps FRED

thanks you for taking the time to answer mex

the instrument cluster is in the engine?if i ask a friend who is a mechanic he will klnow what im going on about if i say instrument cluster? I shall defo mention the shocks bit to him as well.

Many thanks chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just sold my old car after i bought a brand new Focus.
I had my old car for 12 years an liked it very much. But it too had 'issues'.
I knew the car was a good car, but the dealer woud only give me scrap value for it.
I kept my old car, and after asking around, my building's caretaker's brother bought my old car for the amount the dealer was going to give me.
But at least i know someone is going to keep my nice old car going.
They are planning to store it for the winter in the Dad's garage.

So look around for someone who is wanting a car cheap, young, who willl put up with the issues, and basically give it away.
Better than the junkyard.

i know,i really dont wanna send her to the scrap yard! apart from the issues (first one happening maybe twice a month) shes brill to drive and dead nippy! i will defo miss it when i get the qashqai(hubbies choice not mine,i wanted the new focus titanium)

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Okay, let's take this to basics and figure out what we can.

How many miles are on the car?

What is your service history like?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
approx 125000 miles,had the car since last november and its had work done inc oil change new brake pads but not a service as such.Tbh had nothing but trouble since we bought it but i do love it oddly
oh had a new back box as well

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Okay, that sheds a little light.

Couple of things to look at:

The instrument panel is run off of the ECU (black box). If the plugs are loose, it may explain the wonky instruments.

You are most certainly due a timing (cam) belt if it has not been done. If the belt has lost teeth, or if it has jumped the cog due to stretch, it would explain your acceleration issues.

Those would be good places to start, especially if you have a mechanically inclined friend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i should of added another mechanical ex friend sold us the car,its had a re con engine and he said we could go to him with it if there were future issues,needless to say he is not interested and is blaming my driving! cheeky sod.....i am a bit of a speed freak and have never had issues with cars prior to this coz of my driving!! its a focus for gods sake...built for nippy a to b runs lol
i will defo get my friend to check out the cam belt and the ecu....thanks ever so muchx
julie

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Post back with what happens.

It may even be something more simple, but I'm not as familiar with the motors on that side of the pond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got hold of my friend and relayed everything you kind people have said...hes going to look at it tomorrow for me!!
thanks allx

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you only loose the speedo (dropping to 0) That will leave the ECU very uncertain what to do & make the engine run very badly, Maybe a new VSS , will help on that part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you only loose the speedo (dropping to 0) That will leave the ECU very uncertain what to do & make the engine run very badly, Maybe a new VSS , will help on that part of the problem.
As I recall, that is an issue with early Euro/UK Foci.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts