Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i was listening to my stereo last night turned it off turned the car off locked it up and went to work. came back out in the morning when i got off work and now i am getting no sound out of my sub. i have checked fuses, rcas speaker wires and everthing. the amp has power but im just not getting anything from the sub. having the amp tested.

anyways, its a rockford 1500cpbd amp running a rockford t2 12" wired at 2 ohms and never turned up ( amp is to much for the single sub ). i tested the sub on a freinds amp and it worked great. can anyone think of anything besides the amp that could be going wrong?

i just got it going agian after installing a 1/0guage power/ground wire and new fuse holder. its upsetting when stuff like this happens! [?|]

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i checked that, its good. amp is still under warrenty so im not to worried about that. just wishing for it to be something simple. with my luck its not though.

if it is the amp i would be getting the amp back around the time i get my other t2 12 in so that wouldnt be to bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
did you check the fuses on the amp it self, also check your connections from the wires going into the amp like power ground etc...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked checked and double checked. all power and ground wires are brand new, all conections are great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its the sub, one of the coils. you'll have to replace just the sub and you'll be in business. To make sure this is the problem, slightly push on the sub when your system is running. Not too hard because it will rattle a little and vibrate really bad as it makes a farting sound.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do you have a DMM?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its the sub, one of the coils. you'll have to replace just the sub and you'll be in business. To make sure this is the problem, slightly push on the sub when your system is running. Not too hard because it will rattle a little and vibrate really bad as it makes a farting sound.
sub is brand new, i hooked it up to a freinds amp and it worked fine. dmm???

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Digital Multi-Meter.

Test the voltage of the speaker output terminal(with no speaker connected).

I am thinking that you have a bad output device in the amp.

You should test the continuity of your RCA cables as well.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Digital Multi-Meter.

Test the voltage of the speaker output terminal(with no speaker connected).

I am thinking that you have a bad output device in the amp.

You should test the continuity of your RCA cables as well.
nope, dont have one. took the amp in and had it tested though, its bad. it get the power but like said a bad output. shipping out for warranty in he morning.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Did you smell it burn?

If not, it is one of those damn SMD's(surface mounted device).

Do not be surprised if it comes back with a brand spanking new circuit board!

Gotta love the warranty!!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yeah i love warranties. i buy all my stuff from a local shop here through a freind so i get cost plus 10% and they automaticaly give me the extended warranty

no burning smell at all. window was open though

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
Possible that the RCA input at the amp might have taken a voltage spike when you turned the car off. Have seen that happen a few times. Very rare...but never the less. It's unpredictable and impossible to trace unless your already wired in w/ dmm. Usually is an isolated incident that usually doesn't happen again. But then again I ain't there and this is speculation.

Ya for warranty!!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possible that the RCA input at the amp might have taken a voltage spike when you turned the car off. Have seen that happen a few times. Very rare...but never the less. It's unpredictable and impossible to trace unless your already wired in w/ dmm. Usually is an isolated incident that usually doesn't happen again. But then again I ain't there and this is speculation.

Ya for warranty!!!
actually i didnt put my 1/0 guage in intell after the amp freid and i looked at the wire today and found a small rip in it were it looks like it grounded out. thats most likely what created the issue though. hush hush for warranty purposes though. [?|] hope it didnt creat any other issuesl, havent found any yet though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts