Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I am looking for the wiring diagram for the Auto-Dimming Mirror in my 2009 Focus SEL. I recently purchased an InvisiCord for my Valentine 1 radar detector (http://invisicord.com/), and I need to tap into a switched positive lead...as well as a ground. If a wiring diagram isn't available, could somebody please enlighten me as to the characteristics of each wire? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! [cheers]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Talk to Ford. They will be the only help for you. if they even have wire diagrams for the `09 that is, which I'm also doubting.

DVOM will be the option you'll probably end up using.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk to Ford. They will be the only help for you. if they even have wire diagrams for the `09 that is, which I'm also doubting.

DVOM will be the option you'll probably end up using.
I figured a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter would be my best bet, but I thought that someone on FF with a 2008/2009 would have tapped off of their auto-dimming mirror by now. I actually tried to test the wires once already, but the leads on my DVOM were a tad too large to be able to get into the plug holes.

I can't believe there isn't a copy of the schematics for 2008/2009 running around here somewhere. Hopefully someone will chime in eventually. [grinking]

Either way, thanks for your assistance. [cool]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did find the "2008 Focus Audio Wiring Diagram including Audiophile Setup", thanks to dcorwin822...

...hopefully it's the correct "Electro-Chromatic Inside Mirror Unit". [ohcrap]

Link: http://www.geocities.com/dcorwin822/audiosystem.pdf

...and on Page 5, this is what I found:

Can s omeone help me make some sense of it? Will one of these give me a switched (ignition on/off) +12-14 volts? Additionally, would one of these work as a ground? Thanks for your help, I always like to double and triple check stuff when it comes to electrical. [wrenchin]

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
tap positive into brown/yellow and tap ground into black/yellow thats of course if its the same as the 08.. i have yet to get a 09 shop dvd

View attachment 17146
Perfect! It worked like a charm, thank you VERY much!!! [pray]

However, I will do a quick run through of what I did to verify everything, just to confirm with you that I am in the clear. First of all, I cross referenced the diagram you posted up to confirm that all of the wire colors matched up. Although all the wires seems to coincide with what was on the schematic color wise, they weren't in the same order as was pictured. I don't know if this matters, but since the colors matched up I decided to continue on.

Next, I used my DVOM to verify that the Black/Yellow wire (ground) was in fact grounded regardless of whether or not the ignition was on (JUST to be sure), which it was. To do this, I tested the continuity by placing my black lead from the DVOM on the mounting bolt/nut for the front seat...and the other lead on the Black/Yellow wire. With the ignition both on and off, the DVOM beeped, telling me they were shorted...and in fact grounded.

Then I checked the Brown/Yellow (positive feed) with the ignition on/off (using the Black/Yellow ground wire as my ground), which yielded a ~14.2 Volt reading with the ignition on...and an instant 0 Volt reading with the ignition off. Everything seemed to check out, so I plugged it in...and BINGO! [woot]

Additionally, just to confirm with you (since you seem like quite the electrical guru)....from what I seem to recall of a basic "connection", I should be in the clear now because if the connection was wrong in one way or another (incorrect ground, etc.) it wouldn't have worked. Correct? I know electrical is tricky, and the last thing I would want to do is mess anything up or cause electrical problems. Let me know your thoughts, and once again...thanks for all of your help. [drinking]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts