Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a lot of '06 threads here coverint he new suspension, but I'm in a bind and need to see if anyone has an answer that can help me.

My mechanic just called while installing an H&R cup kit on my car, with the news that the front dampers will not fit. I'm pretty furious with cardomain.com, who sold me the kit an assured me it would work on an '06. My mechanic called H&R as well to see if they could help out, and they told him they are still in R&D for any '06 suspension products.

The thing is, all the other parts- rear dampers and springs, front springs - work perfectly. I just need to either find front dampers that will work in this case, or the mechanic take everything back out and pay him for his time.

So, I'm trying to avoid paying for nothing here.

Does anyone know of a damper that will work on the '06 front end?

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Ride on stock springs up front.........chop a coil off............no other choice man.......at least until you get your money back or get the new 06 version.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
i would put the stock dampers and leve them till the wear off in a few months...it will give you time to find a set..
or call car domain and ask them to ship you the correct set...they sold something incorrectly,...they need to fix it

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick answers, guys.

The problem with shipping them back is that it turns out that cardomain has nothing to offer that will work on an '06, as far as a complete damper & spring kit. I do plan to give them hell about this, but my first priority is getting my car working again.

Since the back parts worked fine and they're already installed, I'm hoping to find a way to work with the front springs and just get my car back as soon as possible. If I can find dampers that will work, I'm going to try to find someone that can overnight them.

I did just talk to the mechanic again, and suggested he just use the stock dampers like you said, pio. He seemed skeptical, and said would look at it and call back.

Anyon else with suggestions on the front dampers?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
there is a thread about dampers for the 06...

aparently eibach will not do dampers for it...
so you are basicly stock with the stock one for now...ot might want to try a different brand.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, here's the latest. I had them leave the H&R rear spring/ dampers on, and they put the front H&R spring around the stock strut. After driving it for a few minutes tonight, it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to work.

The whole front end is ratttling like crazy, and just feels wayyy rickety. It's acually pretty freaky to drive it right now.

So, I'm having them put all the stock parts back. As of tonight, Cardomain is agreeing to take back the H&R parts and give a full refund, and may also refund the cost of all the labor.

I guess the moral of the story here is DO NOT believe what a site says online about what will fit our car- call them first to make sure. And then call the manufacturer to make double sure.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Your in Milwaukee, go figure, I'm in Menomonee Falls myself. I ran into the same problem not 4 months ago. The '06 knuckles are different.

-Ryan

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
jhess74, i feel that i must apoligize for the people that didnt really help you casue they cant read. in the stickies there is a thread that details the interchange of brakes and suspension. it says that you can use the older suspension.

"To Change to 05 and earlier struts and springs on an 06, you must change shocks, springs, and Spindles(the 06 has a larger opening for the strut to fit in)."

Brake and Suspension Interchange Guide 00-06

i would suggest contacting cardomain.com to let them know that the kit will not fit without additional parts. i would tell them that you expect them to provide those parts and that you would also like them to pay for the first install that was not possible. make sure that you have a shop receipt that clearly states the amount paid, what was done, and that they front would not fit.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, guys. And Ryan, what other mods have you done so far with your '06?

I did contemplate getting the '05 parts needed to make this work, but, quite honestly, it's been a looong week and I just want my car back. I had all the stock parts put back on, and I'll be returning the H&R kit to Cardomain.

I think I'll just get the Eibach springs that do fit the '06, and probably the pro kit ones. For the short while the H&R was on the car, I realized hat the 2+ inch drop might be a bit much for my tastes, and just too nerve wracking with the condition of the roads around my house. I'm pretty sure that about 90% of the potholes in the Milwauke area are within a 5 block radius of here.

Oh well... on to the exhaust, since I got it yesterday, and some other small details (painting the door handles and side mirrors).

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
fallacious_focus said:
jhess74, i feel that i must apoligize for the people that didnt really help you casue they cant read. in the stickies there is a thread that details the interchange of brakes and suspension. it says that you can use the older suspension.
and now we have a know-it-all...
good to know someone who can help on everything...

[rolleyes]

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
not everything, but had he known of the interchangibility earlier this week he might have been able to keep the kit. if the roads are as bad as he says than its probably for the best that they didnt fit. im not trying to be a know-it-all, but i know that if i was him (and i have been several times) that i would be very frustrated to find out that i could have kept a mod provided that i got an additional part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts