Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing a coil-over kit and happened to turn the axle and notice a couple giant tears in the outboard boot (passenger side)... it's got the project sidelined and now the problem is parts availability!
The dealer I work at can't source the parts (which makes me wonder: what do they do when someone brings one in for service?! Are the owners just too savvy and do the work themselves, 'cause I haven't seen one in here since I started!), Advanced can't find the getrag-compatible axle or boot kit/NAPA... none of 'em!

Does anyone on here collect parts, or know of a salvage yard/salvage yard employee that keeps the SVTs?!
With no way to just re-boot the axle my only options are a $400 axle from work, and a $120 rebuilt unit from a semi-local CV Man...

HELP!

·
Registered
267 Posts
As terrible as it is, doesn't sound like you have too many options. You can buy a universal boot kit. I know they were available when I worked for NAPA 10 years ago, I'd imagine they still are

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I know they make universal boots at advance auto parts.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yeah, a universal boot kit. If the CV has no issues then all you need is to fix up the holes. and stick in grease.
Even buy a junk part and take just the boot off and stick it on your CV joint. I am pretty certain the SVT and the stock CV joints are the same. They certainly were on my Contour SVT and the regular Contour.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Advance Auto Parts shows them in stock right now, the "GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly", the passenger side axle shaft in stock and shipped to your home.... $99.00

They are in and out of stock, I couldn't wait for mine so I ordered one out of Oregon, I think. Cant remember their name, sorry??? I just Google searched and found them. Still got the box, maybe the name's on it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...P_945_R|GRP60007_1370368012___?zoneAssigned=1

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a hell of a time on the last go-round... I did the sourcing and work myself and found out the hard way under the car that the shaft is a smaller diameter for the 6.

So, the universal boot won't leak grease after a thorough flogging? I'm just imagining having to fold a wrinkle under the boot clamp and giving the grease an easy out once I heat it up... I tend to beat the crap outta this thing.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Advance Auto Parts shows them in stock right now, the "GSP New CV Axle Shaft Assembly", the passenger side axle shaft in stock and shipped to your home.... $99.00

They are in and out of stock, I couldn't wait for mine so I ordered one out of Oregon, I think. Cant remember their name, sorry??? I just Google searched and found them. Still got the box, maybe the name's on it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...P_945_R|GRP60007_1370368012___?zoneAssigned=1
I can't be the only one having trouble finding these... you don't happen to know/have the part number on-hand, do ya?!

I may need it after next season...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right there on the web page.......... click the link.

Part No. NCV11154

There's a few places that sell these shafts. You just gotta talk to them and make sure
their listing shows that it only fits the SVT's.

Here's where I got mine at:
Import Warehouse Distributors
405 East Arlington Street, Yakima, WA 98901-3518 (509) 248-5833

Cant find their web page addy..... they have some good deals on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts