Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i need some help my car for some reason out of blue started to cut the engine off anytime i come up to a stop light or stop sign and it seems that if i stay under about 20 mph it wont die but anytime i go above that and then come back down to under 20 the engine cuts off. It does start though normally as soon as i put my car in park and then turn the key again.

I already cleaned out the TPS and it didnt help it still does the same thing.

I took it to a mechanic and so far i have to take it back to get it looked at but at first he said it could be the transmission but then said differently because the also will cut out when its in neutral. Any ideas on what else it could be or anyone else with the same problem?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sounds like a MAFS problem...i had the same problem when I put my MAF sensor in backwards lol

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Ok, does you car chokes, bogs down or just dies like if you turn the car off? If your case is the last one then I had the same problem back in the day when I had my 01 Kona. Mechanics never found the problem. It went away when I installed a ground kit, yeah, one of those cheap kits from ebay, nothing fancy and never dealt with that problem again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its the last thing you said and a ground kit? what exactly does that do haha besides im guessing grounds something?

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
First thing I'd check would be the Idle Air Control Valve.
It's really easy to get to on the Duratec engine. It's on intake manifold right under the throttle body.

Take it off, give it a cleaning, and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Check for any cracks in the airfilter box.Check for vacum leaks ,especially in rear of engine. I would say Maf also..when they go, they go..you just have to replace them.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
First thing I'd check would be the Idle Air Control Valve.
It's really easy to get to on the Duratec engine. It's on intake manifold right under the throttle body.

Take it off, give it a cleaning, and see if that makes a difference.

^^^ that could work too, I didn't realized that you have a duratec while mine was a zetec. Just in case http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories this is what I'm talking about. But try that valve first

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright ill try those tomorrow when i get home because im actually at work right now but thanks for the help i really wish someone had the exact same problem as me instead of having to go through all the different parts but its def better than taking it to the dealer

thanks again if anyone else has some suggestions it would be much appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also another thing the person i took my car to was recommended to me by napa and i left it there and then when i called back he said he wouldnt charge me because they couldnt figure out what was causing the problem and if i could bring it back to them tomorrow due to me having to get to work so i had to wing it all the way to work

if it was as easy as a couple of these things im getting suggested wouldnt he have found out possibly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also another thing the person i took my car to was recommended to me by napa and i left it there and then when i called back he said he wouldnt charge me because they couldnt figure out what was causing the problem and if i could bring it back to them tomorrow due to me having to get to work so i had to wing it all the way to work

if it was as easy as a couple of these things im getting suggested wouldnt he have found out possibly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
around 60000 i was thinking the fuel filter also but wouldnt my car have trouble all the time with pressing the gas cause it doesnt do that

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
around 60000 i was thinking the fuel filter also but wouldnt my car have trouble all the time with pressing the gas cause it doesnt do that
I had about the same mileage when that problem popped out, I'd definitely try the grounding kit. It isn't that expensive and it doesn't require much experience. It worked for me and I had the same symptoms, so it could definitely work for you. BTW, are you getting the check engine light on?

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
Dug up a picture of the Idle Air Control Valve. Maybe it'll help you find it.

The symptoms you describe sound exactly like a dirty IACV.
You accelerate over 20 mph and the IACV closes because the engine is getting its air through the throttle body.
You then slow down to a stop, the gunk in the IACV prevent it from reopening.
Your engine is then starved for air.

Two bolts hold it on to the intake manifold. Pull it off, be gentle with the gasket.
Throttle body cleaner will take care of the job. Spray it in and wipe it out with a piece of paper towel. Be careful not to leave any paper towel in there, some of them tend to shred when they get wet.

Had the same problem, but mine didn't completely die, it just stumbled really bad.

Personally I doubt its the MAF. You didn't mention having taken it out, so It should still be installed properly. If it was going out or gone it would run like crap all the time, not just when you're stopped.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts