Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some of you know that I have been working on a turbo kit for a while now.. Its probably been about 8 months or so. I am hoping to install my turbo next weekend. Now, this is the part the great ff community comes in. I need a second, third, fourth, etc. set of eyes to go over my list. This includes EVERYTHING.

Here is my setup:
What I will be adding.
Turbo:Garrett TA0301--(Compressor housing A/R: .42----Turbine housing A/R: .48) Internal wastegate
Intercooler: 27x6.5x3. (not exact but very close)
Intercooler piping: 2 inch
Boost: 7-9
Injectors: Siemens 60lbs
down pipe will either be 2.25 or 2.5.

----LIST----
-Intercooler
-Turbo
-Oil feed and drain lines
-coolant t's hoses
-Intercooler piping
-Injectors
-flex pipe
-turbo manifold
-bov
-boost gauges and fittings
-oil pressure gauge and fittings
-A/F gauge and wideband
-sct tuner--- tune coming soon
-oil pan baffle
-all mounting hardware
-oil filter
-oil
-MAFia
-vacuum lines, t's, and connectors

Just remembered i need spark plugs.

Please let me know if i've left anything off. I'm always good at getting everything I need but one piece lol.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hose clamps
Couplers
Injector adapters may be needed
Air filter
O2 sensor bungs
Teflon tape

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
do you really need 60lb'ers for 9 lbs of boost? i would think 42's would be sufficient ....

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
The price for the 60lb are less than 42, plus if he wanted to upgrad later he wont need new injectors.

60's are fine.

You might need an SVT Fuel Pump
You should not be "T"ing into any coolant lines. If you need coolant run it directly through the turbo and then back to the thermostat. PM me for details on how to.

All gaskets needed?
Oil filter get the FL- 2005 its anti drain back.
Spark Plugs # 463's Motorcraft ( 1 step colder)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm not running out of fuel at 11psi so he should be fine there.
I T'd my coolant lines, so I'd like to see how you ran yours if you don't mind.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I'm not running out of fuel at 11psi so he should be fine there.
I T'd my coolant lines, so I'd like to see how you ran yours if you don't mind.
Sure, if you "T" them the coolant will flow the path of least resistence. So really the coolant is just sitting in the turbo not circulating.

(ZETEC/SVT) What you need to do is stand in front of your car, look down you will see the black coolant log. On the right side it part in two, pick the left one(The one that runs directly to the thermostat) and cut it in half. Run it to the turbo, then from the turbo to the thermostat. That way you are forcing the coolant through.
Here is mine:
See where I tapped in? That silver adaptor reduces the size to fit the turbo. I believe the focus is 5/8 and the turbo is 3/8 or 1/2 cant remeber.

Coming back from the turbo, changes back to normal size.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Add some aspirin and you should be good. Also, make sure you get copper vacuum lines for your oil psi gauge if it's mechanical.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I would stay away from mechanical if you can.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Idk why I said coolant t's, they are straight fittings lol. As for clamps, I've got about 20 T clamps. I don't think I will need adapters for my injectors, got them from fs and they didn't send any adapters. I think I will get an svt pump, my fuel pump had been acting strange for a while. As for the 02 bungs, where can I get them? I've not seen them at the auto place.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You can get O2 bungs a lot of places. Ebay probably the cheapest.
There are a ton of choices at SummitRacing.com

The injector wiring harnes is different between the Zetec and Duratec, so double check it or you'll be really upset if they don't plug up.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
What does he have a ZETEC OR DURA? never stated.....by Im guessing a Dura

·
Registered
798 Posts
Geez... A TA0301. Airesearch/Garrett, off of a Mercedes Diesel 300SEL. That was one of the original turbos I bought to use until I found out that if the Internal wastegate blows out then you have to replace the whole exhaust housing. There is not way to rebuild them w/o a certain machine.

So far Sporadic and I have had good luck with the RHB5, maybe he will sell you his after he gets his Garrett T3? I am still debating about selling my whole setup.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The Garrett is sitting beside me. :)
I'll rebuild it fairly soon but it won't go on the car until probably Spring.
Once I get some miles on the T3 then I'll sell the rebuilt IHI, which has been very reliable.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it will hold up for the time it's going to be on the car. I plan on a brand new one for summer. I'll def check the injectors to be 100% sure. The car is a Duratec, I thought I put that, my bad.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have 60lb Siemens. No problems here, just got to watch out for a blow thru MAF. I seem to be having more trouble than it's worth. A 3" blow thru housing and 2005+ Mustang GT MAF sensor seems to be giving me some trouble. I am sure that it can be worked out but I cant get to an SCT dealer where I am. the stock MAF w/ MAFiA should be good enough.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a focus sport intake. The stock maf housing bolts to the upper piece. I'm just going to use that part and see how it does. I think it will do fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts