Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my license plate lights any little amount of vibration or opening and closing my trunk will make them turn on and off and it has gotten worse since I installed a 12" sub for obvious reasons. anyone have any suggestions or solutions on how to fix this problem.

oh and I have tried bending in the brackets that hold the bulbs in place didn't really work

Attachments

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
that would have been my only suggestion, bending the brackets thats hold them in. also try replacing them, might be going out. my brake/park light was like that when i first replaced it. every bump the light would flicker on and off, sometimes would stay off. then i just replaced the bulb and it stayed on after that.

should replace them with these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Whit...m14QQhashZitem380065245482QQitemZ380065245482

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm having problems with my license plate lights any little amount of vibration or opening and closing my trunk will make them turn on and off and it has gotten worse since I installed a 12" sub for obvious reasons. anyone have any suggestions or solutions on how to fix this problem.

oh and I have tried bending in the brackets that hold the bulbs in place didn't really work
Yeah mine does the same thing. I am considering soldering some copper springs to the contacts to prevent losing the connection during vibrations.

·
Registered
288 Posts
When my license plate lamps quit, I found that the female spade-lug connectors (that are crimped onto the wiring harness to connect to the lamps) had rotted away underneath the shrink-tube insulation. Stripping back the wire and replacing the spade lugs with marine-grade units with new heat-shrink fixed it. If your license plate lamps have this problem it is also a good bet you have rust problems underneath the rear trunk deck trim piece.

Reactions: MSC

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
My Fix was I took off the interior hatch peice on my wagon cut the wires off the original bulb holders which were almost about to break from rust, gutted the light holders completely
-sitting there thinking on a permanent repair it hit me!!
I went to the scrap yard and yanked a few broken turn signal lenses and the rubber twist on bulb sockets that they gave to me for free ( making sure the back parts with the twist off bulb holders were intact )..

Went home and Dremiled the bulb holder parts off carefully to the dimensions of the slots for the trunk lights and epoxied them into place from the backside.. I drilled 2 VERY small holes on the back corners of the clear housing to vent any condensation or water buildup after cleaning the lenses... if the holder ever rots its an easy repair just snip the wires twist off and replace with another scrapyard bulb socket :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts