Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
focus se wagon 2001
now it's already 110,000km and i don't know when should i have to change the timing belt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On the Zetec it is 120k miles (approx. 190k km). Be sure to change it at or before that time. I lucked out and mine didn't break till 130k miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i got this magazine called "Tomorrows Technician" in it theres an article
Driving on Borrowed Time : Ford Timing Belt & Chain replacement
Both the SOHC and DOHC Focus are recommended at 120,000

·
Registered
525 Posts
Every mechanic Ive spoke with has always told me 60k miles. But I know everyone else has heard different. I myself would never wait till 120k miles. That zetec head is very pricey to replace when damaged.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The Zetec and SPI are non-interference engines...the worse that will happen if your belt breaks while driving is it'll die and you'll have to have it towed to a shop or back home and you'll have to get it back in time before putting a new belt on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
SkaAddict said:
The Zetec and SPI are non-interference engines...the worse that will happen if your belt breaks while driving is it'll die and you'll have to have it towed to a shop or back home and you'll have to get it back in time before putting a new belt on.
On that same note: is the 2.0 Duratec a non-interference engine also?

Also originally posted by SkaAddict
Judging by the number of people exceeding it, the 5 line/200 character signature limit is being enforced selectively...like when a moderator has a grudge against you.
[thumb]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't know if it's interference, but it uses a timing chain, rather than a belt, making it mostly a moot point, e.g., I can't remember that last time I heard of a timing chain breaking, although I'm sure it has happened to someone.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im not refering just the Zetec Timing belt being the only one to be changed. ALL timing belts should be changed at a certain mileage date. But then I also never heard of it being a ""Non- Interference"" Engine either. Sorry but i dont believe it. No offense

Most mechanics as well as myself will recommend for the timing belt to be replaced.

·
Registered
381 Posts
just changed my i have 56k miles

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
DomestikZx3 said:
Im not refering just the Zetec Timing belt being the only one to be changed. ALL timing belts should be changed at a certain mileage date. But then I also never heard of it being a ""Non- Interference"" Engine either. Sorry but i dont believe it. No offense

Most mechanics as well as myself will recommend for the timing belt to be replaced.
I'm not saying don't replace it...its just a case of if it does break while driving the worse that will happen is you'll have to get it back in time and put a new belt on. Its not going to require a new head or major valvetrain work to get it working again. should you replace it along the manufacturer-suggested 120,000 mile interval? Sure...but if it does break its going to be a relatively cheap fix.

And is it so hard to believe that Ford designed the Zetec in such a way that the valves clear the pistons even if they open just as the piston is reaching TDC? Its not like non-interference engines are something from the realm of fantasy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I have to change it if my car is already 5 years? (my car is focus zetec wagon 2001, 110,000km)
I mean if the timing belt should be changed when 5 years old? or just waiting for the mileage till 120k miles?

steviejoe said:
On the Zetec it is 120k miles (approx. 190k km). Be sure to change it at or before that time. I lucked out and mine didn't break till 130k miles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
you have till 190km, I'm not gonna worry about it for a few more years
since it won't mess up my head/valves anyways, hopefully it will pop before
100K and my warantee will get it

·
Registered
119 Posts
I changed mine at 80K. It was covered under warranty because theres a gasket that was *slightly* leaking (i didnt even know about it) and since I work for the dealer they cut me some slack and got Ford to cover the entire bill under warranty - only cost me $50 on my extended plan.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Straight from Fords Fordstar broadcast on servicing OHC engines!

The 2.0L SPI and 2.5L OHC are free-wheeling engines. Therefore, you can rotate the crankshaft without damaging the engine.

2.0L Zetec Timing Belt
Precautions
The 2.0L Zetec engine is a free-wheeling engine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
okay folks some people are talking in Km and others are talking about miles. So to clear up things 1 mile = 1.61 km k? So someone is talk about 110,000 km that means it's approximately 68,400 miles. Honestly all my cars i've driven (dodge, toyota, crysler) I've changed my timming belts just around 110k miles to 120k miles. So I wouldn't worry about changing the belt yet maybe you just need a tune up with everything else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are people paying for replacing the timing belt, and I'm assuming the water pump at the same time? Do you guys recommend the dealer for this, or can a local shop do it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts