Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been discussing a system build up with my dad. I have installed at least ten different systems in cars before, so I am not an idiot.

He wants to put a 12" sub in his car that he drives for fun. The amp he has is rated at 200 watts x 2 @ 4 ohm and 550 x1 @ 4ohm. The amp wont hold a 2 ohm load in mono. He wants to run a Rockford Fosgate RFD2212DVC sub which is 4 ohm DVC. He was asking if he can put the 2 voice coils wired to each side of the amp to produce the power to the sub. I, for some reason, could not give him a solid answer. Help

Basically each voice coil will go to a separate channel to receive 200watts a piece.

·
Registered
571 Posts
here's some good technical info on dvc's.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/dvc_subs.htm

If you don't feel like reading all of that, the short answer is as long as that sub can handle 200w per voice coil, go for it... so yes its safe to do, but obviously your not gonna do it on that amp if the sub can only handle 100W per coil, but you knew that part.[thumb]

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know there is a way to series out the voice coils. Would that work or do you need to have more than one sub to do that. Other than that I would run each coil to one side of the amp.

·
Registered
571 Posts
perfect, whatta ya waiting for then? go install that badboy![headbang] [cheers]

·
Registered
571 Posts
hmm.. work sucks. Tell them you have more important things to do. They'll understand.[slap]

·
Registered
845 Posts
You should split the right (or left) channel off the head unit to both channels on the amp and then wire to each coil. I wouldn't wire the right speakers to channel A and the left speakers to channel B, then put A through coil 1 and B through coil 2 (I think you could burn the coil out doing this...at least have bad sound). I think the best wiring for duel coils (if bridged) is to pick a speaker (right rear for ex.) and split it to both amp channels, then run both channels to one connector on the back of the box, then split that to both coils.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Damn...too late to help solve the enigma :)

Well, to make myself feel important, I'm just going to mimick dave after the fact and agree that if the sub can handle 200w per coil then go for it! [thumb]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts