Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A 3rd party damaged my driver side doors and rear body. I can't post pics yet. I received a check from their insurance for a little over 3 grand. I am considering replacing the doors myself instead of having a body shop to the work and save a little money. While I was at getting estimates I noticed the adjusters quickly finding replacement parts online. I am trying to find similar sites but I can't find any similar. Just junk yard/pull-apart websites that are very vague in what they have. So for those who may know:

Do you know of a site or best way to come across replacement parts?

Would it be best to try do to this myself?

Has anyone replaced a door before? Any tips or tricks?

For our generation Focus, is it anything similar to this (which is the only video I could find)
There are lots of videos on replacing the handle or panel but not the whole door.

If it helps I am in Atlanta GA.

·
Registered
657 Posts
a few months ago i had a small dent in my door that went from the door to the back 1/4 panel (I have a coupe.) It was a crease about 3-4" long, and it ran the body shop $1800 with labor and paint. They had to replace both the door and the back 1/4 supposedly (not sure if they really did or didn't, but i would have to believe them.)

Hope you are able to get yours fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As apposed to just filling it with body filler. You should try the magnet test, see if there is any loss in magnetism in that area when compared to undamaged areas.

I just realized I would have to replaced the driver door locks as well. I wonder if this will be more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Nah, you switch your original door lock stuff to the new doors. It IS a little bit of work there.

You need some 1/4 panel work there too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
You can try this site, I would call some salvage yards around you , you might even find some the same color as your car. The doors just unbolt and there is a slide in the center that unbolts for the rear doors. though I haven't done it it looks like there is a pin that you loosen a bolt and it might pull straight up off the pin.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
Go to a few b/s's & see what they'll charge to replace the door or reskin it. Is there any other damage? I'd also think you'd want it matched, so figure on prep/paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts