Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm getting a 2000 zx3 soon so I thought I'd join the community. I'm planning on getting headers, intake, and exhaust and I've pretty much decided which ones I want to get. I'll probably go for an AEM intake, Focus Central race headers, and a Borla cat-back exhaust. I was hearing about when you use race headers and that you can't use the cat-converters. Is this true? Also if I get the race headers will I need to get the o2 cheater harness so the check engine light doesn't come on? Am I going to need a flexpipe? How's the setup sound so far? Do I need anything else? Any ideas on pricing for everything? I'm planning on getting it inspected first, and then putting all this on so I won't have to worry about emissions test. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Yes, racing headers do eliminate the cat on the car and you will need a cheater otherwise you will have a CEL. a flex pipe would be the only kink in the system after you do everything else, and you would need to replace it.

Intake i have no idea how much it is, mine was $200.
Headers...variable, but prolly $150+
Borla exhaust can be found for prolly $350
Flex will be $150 new, used alot less.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Is old bridge in PA ? If so, give Mcnewsautomotive a call, they have good prices on some of the stuff you are looking for.

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Bridge is in NJ. What brand of flex is good and where can I get it from? Another thing is after all this is put in am I going to need a tune? How do I go about doing that? I have a friend whos dad is a mechanic. Do I just buy a new chip and bring it to him?

Thanks agian.

·
Registered
170 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8067439069&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT That will take care of header and flex pipe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-FORD-FOCUS-ZX3-ZX5-DOHC-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-01-02-03_W0QQitemZ8068648644QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem This takes care of your intake.You can pay more for a name brand,but it won't work any better than this one. Cat back exhausts are all over Ebay;Flowmasters,Borla,Magnaflow etc. Good luck.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
after installing everything, if you really want too, remove the negative battery terminal off of the battery and let the car sit for 15 min and then replace the terminal. Turn the car on and let it sit for 5 min to re-map the program due to new headers, catback, intake w/e. Of you dont have to and over time it will learn it anyways.

·
Registered
789 Posts
BigRed03 said:
if you really want too, remove the negative battery terminal off of the battery and let the car sit for 15 min and then replace the terminal.

there's no "if you really want to". this should be done EVERY time you install a new performance part. and the time the terminal should remain off is 30 not 15. i don't mean to cantradict you BigRed but he should know that he should do it and how to do it properly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Big red is right;you don't have to disconnect your battery for the ecm to learn about any new mods you have done.Every time you turn off your key,the short term fuel trim starts over.No matter how long you disconnect the battery,the ecms ability to store long term imfo will not be compromised.(codes do not erase themselves or learned long term mapping)The time it takes for the short term memory to be lost is 30 SECONDS of lost power to the ECM,whether you turn the key off or disconnect the battery.I don't know how all these stories about disconnecting your battery for 30 minutes ever got started,but it is wrong.You may disagree with me,but I have been repairing cars professionally for the last 30 years and am fully certified in OBD2 systems for modern cars and work on them daily.Either way,the car will learn about anything you have done.About the only time you really have to disconnect the battery power from the ecm is an ecm replacement(or chip) or certain cars have a procedure for resetting the ISC motor (idle speed control)when a replacement is made.This is usually what most people hear when they disconnect ecm power and reconnect it is the ecm resetting the base idle speed.The car usually races up and then idles down to the desired idle speed requested by the ecms program,which is set and cannot be altered without a reflashing or chip.So leave the battery connected and drive it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
^^
if that's the case then why is it that with every aftermarket part the instructions state to disconnect the battery and change the part and replace the terminal. it is true that you don't have to do this with direct replacement parts but not the case with things that alter the performance of the vehicle. the ecm is constantly getting power from the battery even when the car is off and the key isn't in the ignition. i work with high dollar electrical equipment from thermometers and blood pressure units to mutimillion dollar x-ray machines and this is the case with all of them. they also have an internal battery that keeps certain parameters in the "short term memory"; values stay in the short term memory until they are overwritten by something else, so in order for your ecm to "learn" of the new mods you MUST reset the values that are in the computer. and again power to the ecm isn't lost unless you disconnect one of the terminals from the battery.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is NO source of power in the ecm.(a backup battery or capacitor)You are correct;the ecm has constant keep alive memory for learned values with the key off(from the cars battery).As soon as the key is turned on,the ecm looks at these keep alive memories and starts at those values.Once the car reaches closed loop conditions,it looks at all imput devices(cts,tps,maf,map,at,etc..)and makes fuel trim and timing adjustments accordingly.The aftermarket companies know you are looking for IMMEDIATE results from their products and to expedite the learning process, ask that you remove KAP (keep alive power,battery)to the ecm.The ecm upon restart will them immediatelly start the process of recentering all output devices based on incoming imput,without waiting for closed loop operation.(O2's up to temperature)So,all you are doing when you disconnect the battery (30 seconds is plenty) is resetting the time sequence the ecm uses to start reseting output programming based on the new data coming in.The ONLY device with a backup power source is the air bag module which incorporates a capacitor that can take 30 minutes to discharge completely.However,it cannot and does not backfeed any voltage to the ecm or bcm.(body control module,if equipped)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No one ever answered my question. [:(]

What brand of flex is good and where can I get it from? Another thing is after all this is put in am I going to need a tune? How do I go about doing that? I have a friend whos dad is a mechanic. Do I just buy a new chip and bring it to him?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
focusfreak03 said:
if you are just doing intake and the full exhaust you don't need a tune. here is a link to a flex pipe http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BRO2481001.htm
I'm planning to do full exhaust, intake, and racing headers.

Description
2.25" Flex Pipe bolts up to the catalytic converter
Ford Focus Performance Exhaust Pipe
Bosal Performance - a high performance exhaust with real gains in horsepower and torque. For performance compacts and trucks. While others talk performance, Bosal delivers with true, tuned exhaust systems that harness the power of the exhaust pulse wave.
If I get racing headers, I won't have a cat-converter, so what do I do?

·
Registered
789 Posts
full exhaust includes headers, flex, and the rest; i.e. block back. you DON'T need a tune. just take the battery terminal off for a few minutes and you should be good. go to the website and get the flex and then when you get everything, install it and go drive. you WILL need the o2 cheater for the rear o2 sensor to prevent the CEL from coming on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm trying to get:

AEM Cold Air Intake
Focus Central Racing Headers
Borla Exhaust (Do they come in 2.5?)
o2 Cheater Harness

Aside from that I just need to get the Bosal Flex Pipe and I'm good?

·
Registered
789 Posts
that's a good list for starters. i think all borla is 2.5 but don't quote me on that. all that plus the flex and you're good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts