Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple months ago I figured out my CEL was on due to a faulty DPFE sensor. Well I called Steve @ Tousley, only to find out there's like 2 or 3 different types of DPFE sensors, located in different spots. He kind of explained to me where they were but I couldn't see anything that resembled what he was saying.

And now I've forgotten where he said they were located. I know one was on the firewall somewhere, but don't remember where.

I've never even seen a DPFE sensor.. so can someone post pics of theirs with detailed descriptions of where it's at? Hopefully I can find mine with pics of someone elses.

Thanks in advance. And rep will go to anyone with good pictures.

Btw, 2001 ZX3.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
looks like a rectangle box mounted on the firewall with a wire plug and 2 rubber hoses going to it. If i remember correctly the 2 screws are 7mm but i could be wrong on that one

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. That was a lot easier than I expected. I thought it was way down behind the engine or some chit.

+1 to you both. [thumb]

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
No thats NOT the DPFE sensor, that is the EGR Vacuum Solenoid that opens and closes the egr valve.

This is what the sensor looks like

It appears that the sensor was moved off the firewall for the install of your strut bar, the 2 holes to the left of the EGR solenoid, is where the DPFE sensor should mount. I don't see the sensor in the pictures you took but its gotta be there somewhere...

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh.. uhh.. well..

I never took it off to mount the strut bar. It was never there apparently.

I know Steve told me there was a couple different mounting locations for the 2001. One was the firewall, and I forget the other places. Son of a..

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
unless something was different on the 01 vs my 04 thats the location of mine, I've replaced both but the round thing is the EGR solenoid and the pic i posted is the DPFE sensor...

also are you sure it needs fixing or replacing? after I did mine I learned that a small vacuum leak is what was causing the P0401 code, if thats the code you have check for a vacuum leak first...

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car "chugs" a lot if I hold the throttle steady anywhere under 45-50mph. or so. It's really bad in 3rd if I'm not accelerating, just holding the throttle steady. One of my local buddies has been working on Focuses for a living for years. He told me to replace the DPFE sensor, as that's a probable cause.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^Excellent. [thumb]

I must have the replacement, because it's definitely not bolted to the firewall.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Maybe his Car is tuned and the EGR disabled so,no DPFE?

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was never tuned by me. Although I'm the 3rd owner.. first owner was the one who did up the original suspension. Sooo.. maybe? [dunno] I will have to take a closer look tomorrow.

If it is tuned, it's a horrible tune. My car is slow as piss. Lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is your check engine code p0401? Thats the code I have and I'm not sure if i should replace dpfe or other parts first. My 01 zx3 is in same location as yours under MAF just a lil FYI.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forget what the actual code is. Something dealing with EGR. But my car also chugs when I hold the throttle steady at pretty much any speed under 50mph. And was told by a buddy who works on Zetecs for a living that the chugging, mixed with the EGR code, tells him it's most likely my DPFE sensor.

Yours may be something totally different. [dunno]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts