Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well here's the deal, i just fixed my fender, and had to pay for my dog to have surgery, and now need new tires. the g-force sports on my ride are worse than i thought and obiously i don't have much money right now. i need something cheap, but decent. can't spend much, but don't want complete crap either. so i was looking at possibly the Hancook ventus HR II i think they were called, or the kumho ecsta ast. both look like decentt tires and aren't too expensive. right around the same price. please give opinions and let me know if there are other options that might be better. thank you in advance- Jmo

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been looking for some cheap decent tires as well... I found some general altimax hp's that seem pretty good. supposed to wear pretty well, low noise, and good in alot of weather conditions.
anyone had them or know if they are good tires?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size are you looking at?

i'm looking for stock size of 205/50/16. both of those tires i found were around $50-$60 a piece. decent tires yet affordable.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
i'm looking for stock size of 205/50/16. both of those tires i found were around $50-$60 a piece. decent tires yet affordable.

Might be worthwhile to look at Falken 912's as well. Reasonably cheap and a good tire. Grassroots Motorsports magazine picked them as their favorite as a everyday use tire. They actually preformed fairly well as an autocross tire as well. Two other tire sources to check out are Vulcan Tire and Edge Racing. I do have both the AST's (Focus) and 912's (Impreza). Both are nice well behaved tires.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
One tire I was very impressed with when I had my 16" wheels was the Firestone Firehawk GT's. Impressive tire in pretty much all conditions.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the best price on a decent tire I've found was $256 for a set of ecsta AST's shipped to my door! Not too bad imo. Keep the suggestions coming as I plan to look up all the tires you guys have suggested when I get home tonight and begin to compare all of them.

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
i run Continentals but i dot drive hard and i run them all year

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
The Falkens are really good tires, much better than the ASTs (I've run them both).

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of price dif are we talkin when it comes to the falkens vs the ast's tho? Thats a real concern right now with some $ issues that have come up since one of my dogs had to have surgery. I plan on looking up those falkens when I get off work this after noon along with every other suggestion from my peeps here on ff. Thanks to everyone and keep the input coming.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had the HRII on stock ST wheels and they were surprisingly sticky for their stupid cheap price. They're not a sports tire, but a good tuner/sporty DD all season. They were excellent in the rain, for how well they held on dry. Also nice and quiet. I'd go with those or the 912 if you can afford them. That's what I'm planning on doing for the daily stocker wheels once I get dedicated autox tires on my other wheels. I hope that made sense and was helpful.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
check out the Hankook "ventus" line tires

i just bought a pair of them for my new rims and I LOVE THEM

they grip good, do good in the snow and rain and hold tight around corners

they are considerably cheap to compared to other tires of the same quality

·
Registered
584 Posts
there are 8 completely different tires called hankook ventus. the HRII is one of them. which do you mean?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the ventus HRII are the ones i was looking at. looked like pretty good tires.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm thinkin i might try my luck at the kumho ecsta ast's. for $256 shipped you really can't beat it and i'm just low on funds right now. if i don't completely like them oh well. i can get a better set in the spring, if i like them then i'll keep them on. but with funds low and needing something asap, they seem like a decent choice. alot of shit has just happened all at one, all of which have cost alot of money recently! i usually would be tryin to be so cheap but, shit happens. any suggestions for other option about the same price welcome. i'm definately open to them.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
I've been debating between the AST vs ZE-912 for a while now. The Falken from what i've read seems to edge out the Kumho in all conditions, check out Vulcan Tires they have your size for $68/tire....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts