Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around a bit and noticed people are having problems with the AEM CIA so that is out, so here are the 3 I am going to pick from.

1. FocusSport Cool-Flo Air Intake System
2. Steeda SVT Short Ram
3. K&N Typhoon

I am mostly looking at the first 2 but really haven't heard anyone talk much about the FocusSport Intake. Anyone have one and have comments? I have heard good things about the Steeda one and so far, and am leaning in that direction.

Thanks for the help,

-Kris

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
FocusSport, Steeda, and the AEM is alright. I'm looking at going to the Steeda.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i just installed an aem cold air i love it great sound good performance , lightning motorsports has them for 220 & free shipping

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Him get an AEM CAI if thats not one your willing to deal with I'd go with the steeda

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the luxury of living about 15 minutes from Focus Sports' shop in Anaheim. I have purchased their cold-air intake setup (and other stuff) and I am very happy with it.

I installed it myself in about 45 minutes. The heat shield uses the factory mounting points that the removed airbox used. A very well engineered product.

I don't know about the others, but I can highly recommend the FocusSport.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have the AEM CAI now and have runned it for almost a year now. I've not been all that happy with it, not to mention every two weeks I have to clean the filter, due to the fact of were it sits, gets plenty dirty real quick.

I'm looking at in the very close near future, I mean like before track season gets here, getting the Steeda or going with FocusSport. I'm still researching, but def going with a change.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive had the AEM for a while, but in Nor cal its been raining a lot, so i think i sucked up a bunch of water. My mass air got messed up and i didn't have any low in power til i fixed it. Go with the steeda cold air. It sucks air right from behind the grill like the stock right? Don't get AEM

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hondahater i have been meaning to visit focussport for a long time, i went to CSUF...but they are only open on the weekedays! Good to hear their intake is good, i have waiting for someone to mention it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how are the performance results for the FocusSport compared to the Steeda? anyone know?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have heard very good results from the FocusSport, the Steeda just became available not too long ago. I've also read and heard very good results with it. I'm having a very hard time choosing between the two, in time after more research I make my decision between the two.

·
Registered
57 Posts
theres nothing wrong with the aem cold air i have had aem on all my cars and beleive me i have a alot, they wouldnt sell something that they couldnt back, a few bad untrue rumors were started and its spread this far, the only BAD thing about it is where its placed right infront of the drivers side tire, due to the fact when it rains water is right there, i have found nor had any other problems from this or any other aem cai

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
04svtFO,

water is a big problem for me as when it rains I have to drive through water that is just deep enough to cause the intake to suck it up. As far as I know AEM does not make a bypass valve for the SVT yet. (according to their website) or am I just missing it? either way a short ram would be much safer for me to have on the car.

So im just waiting to hear from someone on witch one performes better.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i'm pretty sure they make the bypass valve for the SVT CAI, it might not say it exactly on the website but there are only like two different sizes for the valves, you just have to find out the size of the intake tube and get the corresponding by pass valve

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think that aem has the only "cold air" intake. It gives the most gains, but can suck up water like some have said and even worse can suck up dirt. A bypass valve or a shield can solve most of the problem, but I would worry if it's ever raining real hard or if you have to drive down dirty backroads. The others are all short rams. They give some gains, but once the engine temps get hot, the gains disappear because they just suck down hot air from the engine compartment. The FocusSport is suppost to shield the filter form the compartment. So I would either try the aem or the Cool-Flo, otherwise just keep your money.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Look its a matter of opinion here, I have the AEM CAI and runned it for quite a while now and I'm looking to change. Why, because I have not been that impressed, and yes I may not even be impressed with the others. But that is for me to decide.

I have a AEM CAI bypass, brand new, still in the box. I paid total 63.90 for it, I will sell it for $20.00 plus shipping if any of you are interested. Heck, I sell both my CAI with the bypass for $60.00 plus shipping. PM me. I'm looking for a change and I mean soon for it to happen. [;)]

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Most people who get the AEM CAI get rid of it its all a matter of opinion on the short rams I think they all do just about the same thing the CAI has the risk of problems if your willing to take the risk then do it if not just about any short ram will be the same

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have the Volant intake, but AEM is for people who are straped for cash. The Volant has a $100 premium over the AEM short ram, but does essentially the same thing. It just has a fancy shroud surrounding the air filter to help direct the air to it. Lot of people get the AEM because it is cheap and gets decent hp gains. I am very satisfied with my Volant though and ya should cheack it out if ya wanna spend a little extra for a more quality product. Either way ya can't lose : )

[burnout]

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
sdwndr85 said:
i have the Volant intake, but AEM is for people who are straped for cash. The Volant has a $100 premium over the AEM short ram, but does essentially the same thing. It just has a fancy shroud surrounding the air filter to help direct the air to it. Lot of people get the AEM because it is cheap and gets decent hp gains. I am very satisfied with my Volant though and ya should cheack it out if ya wanna spend a little extra for a more quality product. Either way ya can't lose : )

[burnout]
No volant available for the SVT as of yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sdwndr85 said:

[burnout]
All an intake is is a pipe with a filter on the end, how is there a difference in quality... [???:)]

1 - 20 of 79 Posts