Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 400 watt 4 channel boss amp that I am running to my door speakers which I believe are blown since when I turn them up they have some static to them. I need help choosing new speakers for this amp that i have. Here are the specs..
◦400 watts 4 channel car amplifier
◦MAX POWER, 2 OHM 100w x 4
◦RMS POWER, 4 OHM 50w x 4
◦SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO 90 dB
Based on the RMS and wattage, what kind of wattage or rms rating should I be looking for when purchasing speakers??

·
Registered
37 Posts
are you looking for components or full range replacements?

as for the static, that might have more to do with wiring than blown speakers. id check out the wiring and make sure it isn't that.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats weird is when its on the radio, i can turn it loud and until its real loud i dont hear static, but once i use music on my USB then thats when it starts to do static. I was going to check the wiring on the amp to see if somethings loose. It started doing this probably about a week or so ago. Havent touched anything since i installed them. Ill check the wiring. As for the speakers, im just looking for something cheap but performs well and can get loud without blowing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
are you using an ipod or flash drive/HDD hookup? usually if it's an old cable the connection might not be as good as it used to be. try swapping out the cable and see if that helps.

as far as replacement speakers you have hundreds of options but here are some good ones id recommend:

ALPINE SPS-517 75W rms http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34377_Alpine-SPS-517.html

Polk Audio db571 60W rms http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9125_Polk-Audio-db571.html

Kicker KS680 65W rms http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11502_Kicker-KS680.html

they range from $60-70 a set although you might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

if the BOSS amp is true to its rms rating you shouldnt worry about blowing them unless to crank the knob to the max.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im using a flashdrive for my music. I could check the wire but i dont know where they sell that type of wire. I could check audio places around here. Those are some nice speakers. I need to find some from around here. Ill also check the wiring from the amp.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
◦280 MAX watts 4 channel car amplifier
◦MAX POWER, 2 OHM 70w x 4
◦RMS POWER, 4 OHM 35w x 4
◦SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO 90 dB

Fixed that for you.

Anything rated 35-50 RMS will be fine.

What is the fuse rating and model #?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Always match rms. Max wattage is never something you look at. Most door speakers are 4 ohm so I would look at that. As well
And just find a nice pair that match the rms or exceed it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i wouldnt go with those speakers from walmart. that 500W rating is ludicrous. any car audio from walmart id stay away from. id rather bump my old stock ones. if you want speakers from there i would go with the sony XS-R5744 from there. but you can get those cheaper elsewhere, you could get some Orion cobalt CO570 from sonic for like $30 or if you want to go cheaper than that the Power Acoustik KP-573N for 22 + shipping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
when it comes to door speakers, power ratings are not that important. if you go with a set of speakers rated for 50 watts, and your amp does 75watts per channel, you will be fine. I would pay more attention to going with a good reputable brand that makes quality speakers. and most importantly, set the gain on your amplifier correctly, if you don't know how then have somebody who does do it for you. this is the most important step if you want to keep from blowing your new speakers. you can blow a speaker rated for 500 watts with a 5 watt amp that is turned up too high feeding the speaker dirty power.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
when it comes to door speakers, power ratings are not that important. if you go with a set of speakers rated for 50 watts, and your amp does 75watts per channel, you will be fine. I would pay more attention to going with a good reputable brand that makes quality speakers. and most importantly, set the gain on your amplifier correctly, if you don't know how then have somebody who does do it for you. this is the most important step if you want to keep from blowing your new speakers. you can blow a speaker rated for 500 watts with a 5 watt amp that is turned up too high feeding the speaker dirty power.
All good advice but,

it is where you cross over your speakers is what counts.

But, the average user never gets to that point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All good advice but,

it is where you cross over your speakers is what counts.

But, the average user never gets to that point.
your right, I don't know how I left that out. for the average person with an average set of speakers I would set the HPF on the amp around 100-120hz to be on the safe side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts