Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was once owned by my mother, and had a CAI installed on it that caused huge problems, and finally, killed the engine when it sucked up a puddle.

The engine was replaced, the car is now mine, and the intake was never supposed to go back on, but lo and behold, its there. Winter is upon us and slush is everywhere and I'm scared to death to drive around in it.

Does anybody know an easy, cheap way to either modify the intake, or replace it? I've googled and googled til my eyes fell out, but I can seem to find any sort of specs, or instructions at all.

All input is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
you could just take it off for the winter to be safe. just a thought

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sawzall/hacksaw.

·
Registered
134 Posts
One thing you can do is go to your local Autozone and go to the aisle that has sport accessories in it. Spectre is a company that sells different parts to make your own intake. They sell a 90 degree elbow that you can put on the end of your intake and then put your filter on the end of that. This is assuming your CAI puts your filter down just in front of the driver's side tire. If so, putting that 90 degree elbow on there will reroute the filter up into the area between the fender and the plastic molding that is there. Be sure to purchase a new silicone coupler as well. I don't have any pics of how my intake used to look being that I did the same thing that I have previously described, but if you can get a visual of my description hopefully it will shine some light on a good solution for you. Hope this helps.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
i have a CAI and this will my second winter with it with no problems thankfully, but i decided to get a outerwears anyway...cheap insurance, get that and i wouldnt worry about it, just dont go swimming with ur car and youll be all set

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a couple pics of the setup that I've got (not by choice mind you) I pretty much just want to revert back to OEM, this part was supposed to be removed before I purchased the car, and I do not have the OEM parts because, it wasn't my car when it was put on and the parts were discarded.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd go to an auto salvage yard and get a stock airbox. Or buy a short ram style intake. The bypass valve would work fine also. You should be OK with the CAI as long as you don't drive through any puddles more than 2-3" deep.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are interested, I have my stock SVT intake box and snorkel that has a K&N filter in it. You would just have to source the intake tube from TB to intake box. My box doesn't have the "snake" silencer tube with it though. $30 shipped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know for a fact that I can't get by safely here in Canada with the CAI, the engine was completely replaced over the summer because of a flash flood, plus when you're driving around in the winter with a foot of slush on the road, the CAI just isnt going to cut it.

I think I may have found my solution tho, so thanks for all input :)

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
hydrosoaked!!! oh dam, just go to you local autozone and buy one of those universal cheap riced out cai , and then you will be fine. as long as you keep the filter up high you will be ok , just dont go driving threw lakes and rivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts