Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to install the front coilover. The fronts seems to be missing the key that captures the lower mounting bolt. After tightening the bolt i'm able to push the knuckle downward and the coilover slides right out. What am i missing here? Seems to me like it's missing the key.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No "key", but the struts should have a hook shaped plate on the bottom.

As another thread noted recently, having a stock diameter pinch bolt can make the difference between catching & not.

Noting the '06, did you get the struts for '06 & later cars? '05 & earlier would be quite loose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the hooked shape plate at the base of the coilover is missing. The packaging states that they fit an 06 and 07 and this fit seems to be perfect. There's not any play in the knuckle at all. I tried torquing the pinch bolt like normal though just the weight of the tire pulls the knuckle loose from the coilover.

I'm thinking that they either sent me the wrong coilover set or the ones they sent me are missing parts.

Hopefully someone with my year has installed these before and can shed some light.

I'll try giving Ksport a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
The pinch bolt should pinch enough to hold the knuckle in place without the key, the key is simply a locator and does very little to hold the coilover in place, the pinch is what holds the major load there. There HAS to be play there or the pinch would be grabbing correctly. While the bolt diameter is a safety feature to prevent the knuckle from falling off, it too is NOT intended to take the main load, I say again, the PINCH joint there is what carries the load.

I would be measuring the coilover outer body diameter and a stock strut to find out the difference in OD, they should be the same.

It may well be possible to install the bolt backwards, that way there would be no pinch action there at all.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I have K-Sports on my '07 and there is no play. Once I have the pinch bolt tightened to spec, they wont budge. Even when I dont have that bolt tightened, its a tight fit; I need to have them centered/aligned straight with the knuckle to get them fully seated.Take amc49's suggestion and measure the diameter between the k-sport and your stock strut, they should be the same.

It almost sounds like you have the strut from a first gen

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i'll measure then I get home. Do you know what the torque spec is for that bolt? Maybe I'm just not tightening it enough.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have K-Sports on my '07 and there is no play. Once I have the pinch bolt tightened to spec, they wont budge. Even when I dont have that bolt tightened, its a tight fit; I need to have them centered/aligned straight with the knuckle to get them fully seated.Take amc49's suggestion and measure the diameter between the k-sport and your stock strut, they should be the same.

It almost sounds like you have the strut from a first gen
Thanks I found the tourque spec. (111 Ft lbs.) That's a lot more than I was applying!

Do you mind taking a picture of your brake line bracket? The diameter of the bracket doesn't jive with where I think it should go. A pic would help me out greatly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts