Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 00 focus ATX wont let me take the key out of the ignition. I can put it in park, but the shifter wont lock in place so I cant remove the key. Help!!!!

Thanks

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
Try jiggling and making sure the wheel is not locked. It can get out, it just takes a lot of tapping, jiggling and maybe some WD40. Good luck. Incase if you don't have the money to get it towed, try this first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no need to get it towed, the key will turn perfectly fine to start the car. The problem is that the shifter wont lock in place, without the car lock in park( when u place in park and u take your foot of the brake you can usually hear it click lock)the key wont come out.I was actually driving the car and went to park it when this happened.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Interesting maybe this situation is an exception since he says that the shifter is not going to park.

Are you sure it is not in park ??? Can the key turn FULLY to the OFF position or is it stuck like you would forget to put the car in Park before turning it off.

Does it feel like it is half a revolution till off ? Be more specific, i am pretty sure it is ignition but a bit more specific.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The key will not turn fully to the off position, like it is if you forgot to put the car in park.
Usually when in park if you step on and off the brake you can hear your shifter click and unclick (locking and unlocking )it is not doing that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
So this could be a different problem not an ignition cylinder
Since you have an ATX try taking that little black nob off on the shifter itself. You should know what i am talking about. Now you see a white plastic, press it down with a screwdriver and trying putting it in park . See if that works.
Good luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
"Brake Pedal Position Switch

Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch, located on brake pedal bracket, signals PCM when breaks are applied.
PCM uses BPP switch for releasing tourque converter lock-up clutch when brake pedal is depressed and switching off gearshift lever
shift lock when brake pedal is depressed in "P" position. If BPP switch signal is lost, gearshift lever
cannot be moved out of "P" position. There is no substitute signal."

Could be your problem even though it describes inability to move it from PARK.

Just my 0.02 cents here

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
"Brake Pedal Position Switch

Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch, located on brake pedal bracket, signals PCM when breaks are applied.
PCM uses BPP switch for releasing tourque converter lock-up clutch when brake pedal is depressed and switching off gearshift lever
shift lock when brake pedal is depressed in "P" position. If BPP switch signal is lost, gearshift lever
cannot be moved out of "P" position. There is no substitute signal."

Could be your problem even though it describes inability to move it from PARK.

Just my 0.02 cents here
x2. This same thing happened on my Explorer and I had to have it towed to ford and they had to replace the BPP.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've had this problem
Where the power botton on the gear knob just below there an black pipe where it joins the gear knob needs to push up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If it's a sensor issue, and not the ignition switch(your prob sounds like sensor issue) then disconnect the negative battery terminal, go turn your key back on, then off and it should release. then reconnect battery and you'll get a loud beeping noise indicating your car being out of gear.....this confirms it being a sensor. On the down side, ended up costing me like 400 bucks to get fixed along with other unrelated things! good luck, hope I've helped. ps: also ended up replacing my whole shifter assembly due to toying with it trying to avoid the dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same problem. Two weeks ago my back left rear door would not lock. Now the key will not come out of the ignition - will not go to the lock position. Are the two related?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have the same problem. Two weeks ago my back left rear door would not lock. Now the key will not come out of the ignition - will not go to the lock position. Are the two related?
It shouldn't do that.
I'll post up a few pics later on how to get your get out.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I've never pulled the center counsel off an ATX, is there anything that could help by doing that? just trying to spark a different train of thought.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You need to push it back up and the key should come back to you and pull out, that how it works for me.

You need to push in that botton if that key insert on the auto stick doesn't work

I hope this help alot

Rob

Reactions: Toolman

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
BUMP
did this work for ya????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ignition Cylinder repaired

Hi All,
My key cylinder called it quits just after 165,000 km on December 31st. [goofydrunk]
Perhaps Ford wanted to wish me a Happy New Year! [gunfire] From what I have heard, a recall is in serious demand for this component.
I called 3 places for repair this morning and was advised of costs between $170 and $250 (2 locksmiths) and $500 (1 dealership [:(!] ).
I went the 'low-ball' route with All Lock Rescue on 156 Street (Edmonton). Replacement part: "Strattec 707592" cylinder ($59.19).Re-key: $16.50. Labour: $85. Cost with GST: $169. With drilling of the cylinder, the technician adds another $90. I was lucky and did not need the drill work.[cool]
The anticipation of feeling life through the replaced cylinder was amazing. Each touch felt new even though I had done this hundreds of times. When the engine finally purred to life, a warm satisfaction went through me at the same time as the 2 1/4" MBRP stainless exhaust did its job. I resisted the temptation to do it again, because I know it would have felt just as good as the first time.[;)]
Thanks to FF and all contributors for the multiple comments and suggestions on how to seek repair and obtain best results for my funky family Focus wagon. [loveff]
If you don't DIY, call local locksmiths for better prices than Ford offers. If you really need a Ford OEM part for this repair, the Motorcraft SW 6285 ($180, local) is your ticket. Either DIY or bring it to a locksmith. You will save some dough either way.

John Hidber
Edmonton

1 - 20 of 36 Posts