Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i wonder if anyone can shed some light on a gear box?? problem i have which is really confusing me, i have a v reg, ford focus,1.6 16v.
i bought the car not long ago and when i get into drive it is fine, after about 8-10 miles when the car has warmed up i cannot get it in or out of gear!!! i then have to pull over an let it cool for half an hour! then i can drive it again in gear as normal for another 8-10 miles before the same happens, we have changed the clutch and the pressure plate, its still doing the same i thought it may be the gear box but i thought it wouldnt get into gear at all if it was that problem?

hope some one can help me!! please..... thankyou :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sounds like a bad throw out bearing or slave cylinder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Press down the clutch and leave it down for a minute and see if the pressure decreases when your engine is at temp. Ive had problems before with fluid slowly pushing passed the seal in the master cylinder when the engine is warm.

Do you hear any strange whining?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a little not a lot, when it starts to play up on slow down of the car u can hear a whining noise, not alot though

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Thats probably just your flywheel. One of your cylinders is dying.
[scratch]

Anyway, yeah, the plastic slave cylinder is probably slightly too tight and it's just expanding under the heat. You should also check to be sure that the transmission vents are not blocked, and that the trans fluid level is sufficient.

Yes, I know it's a manual, but there is a vent for expansion on top of the trans case. This usually causes seals to leak from pressure- and it's likely to be ok, but it's worth checking out.

I have problems with my slave cylinder also. I never liked the plastic slave cylinders, and I generally change them with every clutch. However, as tight as the one in my Focus is, I'm considering keeping it for the next clutch. I know with my car I can't "power" shift- LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts