Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 svt a couple of mods. But the ones that could relate to my problems are a stage 2 clutch with a lightweight flywheel.

Okay so here is the problem i cant seem to figure out. There is this noise that sounds like a bad bearing (its kind of like a high pitched humming). Its sounds like its coming from the transmission or where the axles connect to the transmission. When ever the car is in neutral and you rev the engine it does not make the sound but when ever you put the car in first gear and start to drive down the road you can hear it, but not until your hit 5k. When you hit 5k its starts to make that high pitched humming noise. Then when you push the clutch in to shift gears the humming noise goes away as the rpms drop. But as you hit around 5k in second gear the noise comes back. It makes that noise threw every single gear whenever you hit 5k or higher.

Any ideas?
I replaced the clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing back in February and i dont want to do that again so the car has been sitting for the past month while I'm trying to figure this out. When i replaced the clutch i used royal purple 75-90w transmission fluid. I have already replaced the left axle because i thought maybe the noise could be coming from the passenger side carrier bearing but I was wrong.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure this out before I put the car away for the winter.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Well, first off, you used the wrong tranny fluid. You should have used the RP SyncroMax, that is what our cars use, that other stuff it too rhick. I know you installed a new throwout bearing but that is what the problem sounds like it could be. I have heard throwout bearings make the type of noise you are talking about due to it being defective. I hope this helps.

BTW, how long after the clutch install did this noise start?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, first off, you used the wrong tranny fluid. You should have used the RP SyncroMax, that is what our cars use, that other stuff it too rhick. I know you installed a new throwout bearing but that is what the problem sounds like it could be. I have heard throwout bearings make the type of noise you are talking about due to it being defective. I hope this helps.

BTW, how long after the clutch install did this noise start?
is there a syncromax 75-90W?

and it just started about a month ago.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Its just called Royal Purple Syncromax. No Special wt to it.
That is correct. It is a much lighter weight than the gear oil you put in it. I don't know if the heavy stuff you put in it is the cause, but likely not. If it were me, I would drain the tranny and refill with SyncroMax. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

BTW, I have SyncroMax in my tranny.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Are you using a Centerforce clutch? If so, then it's the pressure plate. I can't remember where all the new sounds came in on my CF clutch, but that design makes sounds.

I agree with Iminhell because a thicker fluid will usually mask sounds not create them. If you replaced the throw-out bearing without replacing the slave cylinder, then it's very likely that the TO bearing is making the noise. What you have there is 2 parts that are made of dissimilar materials. The slave is made of plastic, and the TO bearing is metal. When you purchase a new slave, it comes with the TO bearing glued to it. Over time, that glue loosens, and typically creates a rattling sound with the trans in neutral, clutch pedal up, and the sound goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed down. If you're experiencing this sound, then it's probably the same part making the humming sound.

You did replace your flywheel bolts when changing this stuff I hope. I've seen what happens when that is overlooked on these cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did replace the flywheel bolts. And whatever came with the spec clutch kit I installed it..I can't remember if I got a new slave cylender or not

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont want to jump to the t/o bearing just yet....my car has 60k and i have not done the timing belt. Today i was revving my car in neutral to see if i could here the same noise. I could here the same noise FAINTLY around 4k or 5k rpms. Could i be the tensioner or something like that?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
If you were to read the manual in your glove box it specifies atf. All the high dollar fluids mentioned do nothing more than atf but empty your wallet.
Too thick of a fluid such as what you stated you used can actually cause damage over time since parts of the tranny are splash oiled. 75-90 doesnt splash it has to climb through rotation of the gears and drip on certain parts which some have tight tolerances.
In a cold climate the heavier oils are a huge no-no as they wont lube until warmed up enough to flow.
use what the manual specifies. it specifies it for a reason.

A tob wont hum. they either make a grinding noise or a deep groan which wont go away when the clutch is depressed, itll just become lighter in volume.
I'm with the pressure plate noise. A hum is a harmonic vibration. There have been cases of light weight flywheels causing this also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you were to read the manual in your glove box it specifies atf. All the high dollar fluids mentioned do nothing more than atf but empty your wallet.
Too thick of a fluid such as what you stated you used can actually cause damage over time since parts of the tranny are splash oiled. 75-90 doesnt splash it has to climb through rotation of the gears and drip on certain parts which some have tight tolerances.
In a cold climate the heavier oils are a huge no-no as they wont lube until warmed up enough to flow.
use what the manual specifies. it specifies it for a reason.

A tob wont hum. they either make a grinding noise or a deep groan which wont go away when the clutch is depressed, itll just become lighter in volume.
I'm with the pressure plate noise. A hum is a harmonic vibration. There have been cases of light weight flywheels causing this also.
is the pressure plate hum somthing i can fix? It just started making this noise about a month ago.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
is the pressure plate hum somthing i can fix? It just started making this noise about a month ago.
How long has the clutch been in? And there is no fix for a bad pressure plate other than replace.
My question would be what brand of light weight flywheel, pressure plate, and the exact type of clutch disc(specifics...race, street/strip,street, semi metallic, organic, full contact or puck style, etc) and brand.
without exact parts you'll only get stabs in the dark

oh, and fyi... the carrier bearing is now available seperate and has been for a couple years ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts