Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm a complete beginner when it comes to cars and have run into a bit of a problem.
Battery light was coming on and off, and the last time it came on it started to smell like rotten eggs. Turned the car off and popped the hood and the battery was steaming (not from the posts, from the actual battery). Now car won't start and just keeps clicking. The battery was bought in April brand new. So got towed home, took out the battery and the cables were a little melted/messed up.
Need help identifying the cable (as in the name and possibly part number) and if anyone has an idea of what I should be replacing and fixing I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks
*the pic is pointing to what I need help identifying.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Welcome to FF.

You will need a battery cable set. They are usually about $80 - $100.

What is your engine, transmission, and model?

BTW: It would help with future posts if you put that info in your profile.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^ Yup.

That's the ground cable pictured, and you'll need to check/repair the charging system as needed once you've got good cables.

The cooked battery is from over charging (prob. 15 volts or more). A bad ground can be a cause, but there are other possibilities. You don't want to cook another battery besides paying for whatever repairs are needed so don't run it long to test once you've got a good cable hookup.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Sounds more like a total battery melt down to me, an internal short. I would not be bringing that battery back online at all without a loadtest on it for sure, could easily toast the rest of the electrics in the car or worse, like burn car to the ground.

The only batteries I ever saw steam out of were absolutely toasted inside and could start a fire. Cables don't melt from simple overcharging either. Steam and the heavy acid smell are the marks of a direct internal short inside battery. You still got warranty, I'd be using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2000 SE DOHC Automatic. I have a new battery, waiting for the battery cables to get delivered tomorrow, and have a new alternator. What should be done first ? Thanks for all the replies, btw. I appreciate it very much!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Cables or alternator, then battery. Battery terminals need to be on tight enough that you can't move them by hand.

Make sure the alternator wires look good--no melted insulation or frayed bits where it plugs in, and the black ground wire firmly connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I started to do the battery cables by myself just to see if I could and didnt get too far (ahah) this picture is looking down from the right side of the car (if you were looking at the car from the front)
I dont know if it's just a clip or if its screwed in or what.
And p.s. I can't get under the car right now-no jack, no jack stands, etc. So I might just have to have someone else do it.
But just thought I'd see if any one knew how to get it off/out of this damn clip lol

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
IIRC, it's a clip...folds over and clips on the underside. The whole clip should also pull out of the hole with a bit of force.

If all else fails, cut it then replace it with a zip tie after.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I had someone off yourmechanic come and do it. I have a feeling I will regret this.
The guy completely missed a grounding wire that goes to the battery, that I had to point out after he said he couldn't get the car to start. Fixed it though. He leaves. I try to start the car, it turns over but wont start. sounds like it will when you try. Then I look under the hood and see he didn't put the alternator bracket ...is this a big deal or what?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Yes, it is a big deal. That is one of the engine lift brackets and the ground wire on this lift bracket needs to have a good connection. The bracket needs to be reattached properly to the block for this to happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts