Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so there is about 2 inch snow tonight, i went to an empty bestbuy parking groung and tried to have some fun with my car, it was at night, no people or cars around, i didnt go faster then 25mph. just turning around the poles. after 15 mins, i got pulled over by cops, they gave me a ticket saying WRECKLESS DRIVING and need to go to criminal court. am i in big trouble??? the thing is that the car is under my dads name, and so is the insurance. will this cause the insurance to go up?? should i hire a lawyer??
it is my first time and i really didnt know, or else i wont do it, please help

·
Registered
264 Posts
good luck with that one. I"m not sure what all they are gonna do to you. But it won't be good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was at night, i was just praticing how to drive in snow. no one is around, i didnt make any really big noise, no tire marks, and there was nothing for me to damage, except maybe those hugh poles. and i dont c whats wrong.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Can they do that on private property? You may have a case since it was a closed store lot, and you were practicing.

·
Made In The USA
2,010 Posts
To be honest i would rather have you practice in a parking lot if you don't know how to drive in the snow, than out on the street where I am!
Bring up that point when you go to court, and yeah call a lawyer, that cop was just being a dink!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
here in ohio, if you're in a parking lot, there's nothing police can do because it's "private property". sure they can sit there and wait for you to go out onto the road and watch you, but other than that there's nothing they can do.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
reckless driving isnt just a points charge though, in many states its a misdemeanor/felony and can result in loss of ur license.

get a lawyer, and make sure to get the details down on paper. You liekly have a case, since its on private property, and unless the storeowners wish to press charges, the judge may throw it out.

also, i assume u have a clean record, as u state its ur first time? That will greatly affect the judges decision.

Also, if u caught speeding or violating some other driving law between now and court, ur pretty much [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)].

now, all that being said, get a lawyer. Even if you don't win the case completely, he'll most likely be able to negotiat some sort of plea deal.

you may have to pay a fine, or have ur license restricted, or do comm service; but you'll probably escape criminal charges/suspended license/points/etc etc

good luck man

·
Registered
202 Posts
if you were just practicing then i would just tell the judge that. as long as they dont have video of you doing 360s and long ass drifts you should be ok.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Man Ohio sounds better and better. They can't ticket you for 5mph over the speed limit, they can't ticket you if you're on private property, etc..

·
Registered
777 Posts
Lol, I was doing some ebrake drifting lastnight with some cops in a parkinglot..

Lawyer... simple as that. You're young and you were goofing off in a parking lot. Seems kinda harsh for a Brooklyn cop to give you a hard ass ticket like that... so there might be something to the story that you arent telling us?

·
Banned
2,962 Posts
Lawyer you self up. They may even try to put you in jail.
If i were you i would be looking at 1500 for a lawyer, 500-700 for the ticket plus 150-200 in court fees. You'll be lucky if you get to keep your license. You may also be canceled by your insurance and have to switch to a high-risk plan through a specialty insurance shop.

Baby is right. This is a big deal. Hopefully you get to keep your license.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'm not anti-cop by any means, but you think the "donut-chasers" would have something better to do than chase a kid in a private parking lot. If you were on a public road yeah, but reckless driving means you were endangering someone else... and who might that be in an empty parking lot? Any judge with an ounce of sense is going to side with you, but get a lawyer just to make sure...

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I know here in Alerbamer, WD is a felony...I got pulled over once for it (+25 over the posted limit) and the cop downgraded it down to speeding. (THANK GOD)

If anything, he gave you the ticket so that you would at least learn a lesson. He probaly knew that you would get a lawyer and wiggle out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts