maybe the box was not mounted right and it was making that noise, but no

luck there then I notice the noise was comming from the woofer.. It sounded

like when you really turn up the volume on the speakers and you hear this

distortion noise. I pushed the Speaker cone in while playing and that seem to

stop the noise, but when I let go I can hear it again. A friend of mine was

telling me it needs cotton inside the box to eliminate that noise. Is my spear

blown? I have the MTX 4500 with a Kicker KX600.1. The gain is all the way

down and the Bass level is almost all the way up. My HU is a Pioneer DEH-

3900P. Or could it be the metal grill in front of the speaker hitting against the

cone when it bumping? When I close my trunk I cannot hear the noise

anymore, but when I open the trunk I can hear it.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
hmm...i doubt its the speaker hitting the grill..the woofer would have to be pushed beyond its mechanical limits. When you say the bass is all the way up do you mean on the amp or on the radio? when you have the car off go back to the woofer and push in on the center of the woofer...does it make a scratching sound?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bass is high on the AMP... I will check the center push on my brake...

Thanks

John

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I notice that when I am listening to music and I kinda put my ear close to the woofer its sounds like something is boiling in there. I touched its not hot it just sounds like water boiling..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some audio file that I can show you. I just recorded with my BlackBerry during my break.

I pushed in the center no scratching noise.

I recorded while it was playing the song.

Also I can hear this noise when I open the trunk and listen to the woofer..

i do not listen to this noise while inside.

When I press the center of the woofer the noise stabilized and I no longer

hear this noise.

I am trying to load up the sound but it does not allow me.

Does anyone know how to upload this windows Media player file?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I found a clip on You tube that has the same noise my woofer is making. My woofer is

in the box mounted and I cannot hear this noise inside the car only I can hear this when

i am close to the woofer..

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbQcAXDfR_4

Got to 56 seconds and up that is the noise is making..In fact it does not do it all the

time i does nit I guess in some BASS levels..

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
117 Posts
i had a somewhat similar problem to this. i was goin down the road and noticed my sub had a strange rattle. i figured it was blown so i went out and bought a new sub, and when i was taking the sub out of the box i noticed tissues, and plastic. aparently the sub had sucked in a small package of tissues and thats what the rattle was. in your case it seems you have blown your sub. my recent sub did the same thing but was alot louder. it almost sounded like the center had separated internally from everything else and that plastic was inbetween the layers rattling. good luck on the subs

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok.. I will see what I can do.. What confuses me is that I cannot hear it inside the car.. Only If I go to the back of the car and listed closely to the woofer that is when I can hear that noise..

Wow that sure what a terrible ebay deal.

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
259 Posts
you said you have the bass high on the amp, you should turn the gain up and the bass down. it sounds like your running low signal and high distortion through the sub. also that amp is much bigger than the sub, so try not over perform the sub otherwise you will get rattles and all sorts of other problems. it cant be a blown sub because you said it sounds fine inside the car. if it was blown you would have an immediate sound difference in the car, if the sub played even at all. i want to say your sub takes 150 rms power and your amp will do 350 rms power at 4ohms so again be easy on the gain and be very easy on the bass boost. happy tuning!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
after watching the video it sounds like to me is that you are actually hitting the mechanical limits of the subwoofer...what particular woofer and amp combo are you using?

Also if you have it at say...half volume does it still make the sound? at full volume does it only make that sound on really low notes?

I would suggest turning the bass boost down completely and turn the gain up to right around half....it should be a safe starting point depending on what kind of headunit you have...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok mrfatride I turned everything down completely. Then I went to my head unit raised it

to 20.. My HU goes up to 60. I have a Pioneer HU. I turned the Gain up a little and it

started to do the noise and then I turned the BASS up a little and it did it even more. I

tried to press the cone in this time to see if it went away and it does not go away in

fact it slams against my fingers very bad I can no longer control the bumping of the

woofer while holding it down. DO you think my AMP is very over powering this woofer?

I have a MTX Thunder BOX 4500.. and I am using a KICKER 600.1 the guy who sold it to

me he said the woofer is 450 W and the Kicker is 600 W.

Also the first time it was making the noise I had the BASS 3/4 high and the Gain like

maybe 1/4. The noise was made at 16 on my HU on Volume.

Let me know and thanks in advance for all the help..

John

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Alright....I am just trying to remember but you have the mtx box that is specific to the focus right? Do you happen to know if the subwoofer is a single or dual voice coil model?

When its making this noise is sub moving a lot or does it not matter on how much its moving when it makes the noise?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I do have the MTX Box that is design for the Ford Focus ZX3. When the woofer is making that noise it moves very violently. I mean I touched it and it hurt my fingers on how hard it was moving. Also a friend of mine here at work who claims he worked at Car toys he stated that the woofer box is an enclosed box sealed and its normal noise since it does not have a hole to breath from. The other thing he mentioned was that it might be due to the amp being too much for that woofer or the woofer itself is blowned...

I lowered the gain and BASS this morning the noise stopped, but as soon as I move the gain a jiffy the noise begins and its even louder when I move the BASS. Once again the vibratring/farting noise is not noticeble when the hatch door is closed and I am sittiing on the driver'seat I can only hear this as I open the hatch door and I am looking directly at the woofer..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the woofer specs according to the website:

Subwoofer Specifications
Subwoofer Size 12"
Voice Coil(s) Single (1 voice coil)
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms
RMS Power Handling 225 watts
Peak Power Handling 450 watts
Woofer Surround Poly-Foam
Woofer Composition Carbon-PP Hybrid
Sensitivity 90 dB
Frequency Response 35 - 150 Hz
Xmax (millimeters) N/A
Warranty 2-year Manufacturer's

Enclosure Specifications
Box Type Sealed
Number of Subs/Speakers 1
Height 29-1/2"
Width 20-1/2"
Depth 10"
Second Depth N/A
Wood Thickness N/A
Number of Terminals 1
Terminal Type Spring posts
Box Exterior Color Tan
Box Finish Paint

Review Summary
Nobody rated the MTX Audio Thunderform FZX3500T12-T45 (Tan, Loaded) yet
Have you used this product? Click here to review it!

Related products
MTX Audio Thunderform FZX3500BK12-T45 (Black, Loaded)
Single 12" Loaded MTX Thunderform Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure • For 2000-2007 Ford Focus ZX5 / ZX3 • Loaded with 12" Thunder4500 Subwoofer • 450W Max • 225W RMS • 4 ohms • Carbon filled polypropylene cone $349.99
MTX Audio Thunderform FZX3500C12-T45 (Charcoal, Loaded)
Single 12" Loaded MTX Thunderform Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure • For 2000-2007 Ford Focus ZX5 / ZX3 • Loaded with 12" Thunder4500 Subwoofer • 450W Max • 225W RMS • 4 ohms • Carbon filled polypropylene cone $349.99
MTX Audio Thunderform FZX3500T12A-T45 (Tan, Amplified)
Amplified Single 12" Loaded MTX Thunderform Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure • For 2000-2007 Ford Focus ZX5 / ZX3 • Loaded with 12" Thunder4500 Subwoofer • 450W Max • 225W RMS • 4 ohms • Carbon filled polypropylene cone $549.99

Product Summary
Manufacturer: MTX Audio
Model number: FZX3500T12-T45
UPC: 715442536436
Weight: 26.00 lbs
Internal SKU: fzx3500t12t45
Internal Product ID: 14431

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the amp specs according to the website:

Amplifier Specifications
Number of Channels 1 - Mono
RMS Power (4 ohms) 300 watts x 1 channel
RMS Power (2 ohms) 600 watts x 1 channel
RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable
Bridged RMS Power Not Bridgeable
Total RMS Power Output 600 watts
Peak Power Output N/A
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Minimum Impedance Bridged Not Bridgeable ohms
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.5%
Speaker Level Inputs Yes
Preamp Outputs 1 pair
Built-in Crossover Yes - LP
High-Pass Crossover Frequency N/A
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 50 - 200 Hz
Subsonic Filter N/A
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 95 dB
Channel Separation N/A
Bass Boost 0 - 18 dB (40 Hz)
Bass/Gain Remote Yes
Fan Cooled Yes
Fuse Rating 30A x 2

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought these whole kit from EBAY for $190.00...

Thanks

JOhn

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
well if its moving violently then I am correct. The speaker is reaching the limits of its suspension. That's the noise you are hearing. Try running the amp with gains and bass boost all the way down and turn your radio up as loud as you are comfortable with (no louder than 50 though). Tell me what happens.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you say BASS and GAIN all the way down.. do I have to turn down the BASS and LOUD off the sterero also?

I remember that this morning i lowered the BASS and the GAIN from the spearker all the way down and move the volume up to 23 and it sounded fine with out any of that farting noise..

I will try this again during lunch.

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I lowered the BASS and the Gain from the AMP and the noise is gone. I raised the Gain just a little I mean little and the noise started then I raised the BASS a little and it was even more louder.. I lowered the Gain a little and it was almost gone I lowered the BASS a little and now I cannot hear it unless I really pay attention to it. The only thing I miss now is getting that wind slapping my back when it was slamming. I raised the volume up to 30 and it was fine no noise...

Thanks for the help..

Also what type of speaker or what do I need to buy to get more BASS...

There was a speaker at Frys that was a PIONEER 800W speaker I am not sure what the RMS was, but do you think that will sound better?

Also let me know what you think was really happening?

Was the amp to powerful for the speaker?

Thanks

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts