Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ford radio is stuck, the keys are not releasing it. I have a 2002 LX SPI, with the original cassette unit in which the radio tuner has died. So the radio has to come out, but how? I made the looped keys out of coathanger wire just like the other two times I have had to remove a Ford radio. I bent them outwards but the darn radio doesn't budge. I've tried 4 times and still getting nowhere. It does seem the coathanger wire is not as big diameter in as in the old days. When I bend them outwards the wire bends more than I was expecting.

Any ideas? I tried 4 tiny screwdrivers like the Youtube video shows, but that doesn't work either.
I suppose I could go to Walmart and buy their version of the Ford keys for about $5 or $6. But assuming that doesn't work either (that is my hunch), what are other options? taking the dash apart? Accessing radio from behind the dash. drilling it out somehow? Completely baffled in Atlanta...

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
try the keys the should work, if not you will have to get behind the dash, you can access it from the glove box, open the box and squeeze the side inward to move them past the stops and it will swing to the floor so make sure its empty. and for the other side you can remove the panel below the dash with the 4 7mm (i think) bolts, and you should be able to get at it from there but its gonna be tight from that side.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
You need a bigger diameter wire.
Or four bigger screwdrivers. or nails, or hex wrenches. Whatever is the biggest thing that will go in is the thing to use.
The tool needs to FILL the hole they go in. A regular coathanger may not be large enough diameter.
Another thing it to have the tools in place and PUSH the radio IN hard. The clips may be stuck, and 'just pulling' is not working. By pushing "IN" first after tool insertion, the internal clips may relax, and you can then pull the radio out.

Also, if all fails, take the lower portion of the center console off,(or moved to the side, or away just a bit) see if you can get in there under the radio with a long screwdriver to push pry the radio case inside from behind while you use the removal tools.

The case holder may be corroded and a little extra nudge may be needed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions! I have a bunch of nails in a pile and I'm sure I can find the biggest that will go in. The coathanger wire used to work, but the wire diameter I think is the problem now (thinner, cheaper, more pot metal). I'll work on this tomorrow and let you all know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: the nails worked, thanks for that suggestion. They were either 10 penny or 12 penny finish nails. Hardened steel--they didn't bend when pushing out to make those things release.
Coathanger wire is too flimsy, unless you have one from say 30 years ago when coathangers were thicker.
Now I am waiting for the second radio to arrive. The first one was horrible, so I returned it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts