Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought a 9' 6" kayak..and I need a rack for the focus so I can haul it around.

Where do I look for one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's REI?

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Better ask kayak_man.

REI is an outdoors sporting equipment store.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dang...they wanted $357.00 for the base rack

I was looking to spend only $150-200

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://64.202.180.37/files/fext.pdf
That site opens adobe reader...what's their actual site?

That's a nice rack tho, and yeah, the kayak attachments would be necessary

thank you

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tyvm

·
Registered
601 Posts
To start off, just buy any generic roof rack (the two bars that clamp in the door frame).

Then you'll probably want some sort of Kayak roof rack kit. This is NOT necessary, but it will stop the kayak from wanting to slide side-to-side and should come with all the straps you need. I'd recommend a cheapo roof rack with a decent Kayak kit (Thule is good). This is what I did and it has worked flawlessly to carry my 14' canoe thousands of miles, and the Thule pull straps rule.

As for where to get them, try looking in you local yellow pages (Automobile accesories?).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what kind of generic roof rack would fit a 02' zx3?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
where the hell is kayakman when you need him???? [hihi]

·
Registered
601 Posts
SlammedZX3WI said:
what kind of generic roof rack would fit a 02' zx3?
There are only two types of roof racks, they are definitely not car specific. There are one for cars with rain gutters, and one for cars without rain gutters. 05+ doesn't have rain gutters, so yours is probably the same. Then the store has different sizes of crossbars (possibly only large and small, but I'm not sure). Don't get the big truck ones and you're good to go.

Installation is very easy as well, carefully sit it on the roof where you want it and adjust the "screws" on the side until it clamps itself tight to the door frame. Then they usually have a lock so they don't get stolen, and you can take it off at anytime.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my car with the rack on, but I could take a quick picture or describe where my rack sits if you would like.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts