Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Something weird is going on with my car. I replaced the rear shocks two weeks ago. Eversince then I hear this noise in the front part of the car the passenger side. It only happens when I turn its kinda sounds like something rubberish turning while I turn. Its kinda like a creaking noise. I replaced the strut on that side yesterday thinking that was it and nope the noise is still there. I have bounced my car up and down to see if I can replicate the noise and no luck. I have move the steering wheel and nope I cannot replicate the noise this only happends when the actual cal is moving and I am turning to the right only. I can hear it when I go up on bumps that is the reason why I change the strut on that side. I check the strut mounts and the rubber part is fine the bearing sounded a little, but I am not sure if that could be it.

Please help me figure this out I am very scared my tired will break off my car.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The upper strut bearing certainly can make such sounds when turning.....and it usually will make noise only when the wheels are on the ground (the bearing is loaded). If you listen close at the upper strut mount, with a helper turning the steering wheel, you might hear it better.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I currently have a Creaking in my front end, I be leave it is a Ball Joint.
But that's my car, I have no idea about yours.
but it could be that same thing.
hope this helps
Rujokinjal

·
Registered
324 Posts
yerr CV joints gone... test it better by turning around in a circle at full lock.. at low speed that is lol.. if u hear clicking then its probably a CV joint.. or the ball joint may have lost its lube haha, which does mean that its gone.. and will need to be replaced tooo.. :|

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did notice that the end link on the sway bar is very loose they are very wobbly....Many that's it? Once again teh noise started when I changed the rear shocks I did not notice the notice until then...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
its the sway bar end links. when the car flexes (going around a corner) the sway bar bends and puts pressure on the lighter side of the car to keep good ground contact. it has rubber bushings in it and they most likely need greasing or replacing. i would bet money thats your problem. 97 f150's were notorious for sway bar creaks.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Just replace the stabilizer links there not supposed to be flopping around without applying force.. mine was on there way out and causing a clunk/creak and I took it in for a full front end rebuild after an unfortunate meeting with a curb

the new stab links cannot be moved whatsoever they will turn a VERY small amount but alot of force is needed.. when the cars sitting on the ground they should be under force there only released of the tension when both side are jacked in the air

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved: I replaced the sway bar end links last night and the noise/problem is gone...

Thanks everyone... The problem is now I noticed that on the driver side the CV joint boot is ripped a little. No noise from them yet, but is ripped..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question for you Feral:

I bought a pair yesterday from Autozone.. Do you know if they are pregreased already?

I know the bolt was hard to move, but my question is do they have to be greased up?

I installed that like that and now I am worried as hell that I am driving them with out any grease..

Thanks,

John

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Ive never seen end links that have to be greased... they use a teflon ball retainer ( well mine does) i don't know about autozones I would need to see a picture of the endlink to see how they are built..

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts

you can't see the grease fitting, but it's there. these are the Moog ones

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You should grease them then, pronto- If they put some initial lube in there during manufacture, there wouldn't be any problem. But I don't know if they do that or not.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Weird :p well I know my stockers that I just had installed doesn;t have em but if you have those grease those suckers up as soon as you can

downside those will have to be greased every 6 - 12 months ( if it was me I would fire a few shots of grease at every oilchange

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guess what guys? I greased, but I think I ruined them. I notice the rubber part was like lift so I kept on pumping them and then from the middle of the rubber boot the grease started to pop out. I think I messed them up. Everytime I move the steering wheel some grease will start popping out from the middle of the boot. I messed them up I think.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem Solved. I contacted Autozone they replaced the links free of charge..

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
lol just fill them up till the rubber bulges a little .. theres to purposes to the boot 1 to hold the grease the second to show if there is grease in them :)

As mentioned at every oilchange I poke the rubber sac's and see if there full

as for the cv change just the boot before it does dry out the joint.. if you change the boot now its like $30-40 if you wait till the cv dries out it will be a few hundred for a new driveshaft ( unless you like messing with the cv and rebuild it :) )

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts