Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My dad has a focus as well, he's got the 2007 hatchback SAP model. He asked for help changing the rear drum shoe brake pads. Is there any tension release screw or anything ? Maybe a how-to section on how to change those pads ?

I'm on my way to work right now, but my father will be checking this forum for replies. ( he won't know how to respond ) haha

Any help is greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
496 Posts
That how-to is sub-optimal. the wheel nut does NOT need to come off. If fact, doing it that way will very likely damage the wheel bearing. there's a reason it's a b**ch to get the center cap off. Instead, if you feel around behind the backing plate, there are 4 bolts in the backing plate that connect the rear spindle to the rest of the suspension. If you remove these 4 bolts, the spindle will slide off with the drum, eliminating any risk of damaging the bearing, and actually giving you enough working room to do the job. Believe it or not, the Haynes manuall covers this topic quite well, and has some helpful illustrations if you forget the arrangement.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Having ruined wheel bearings myself from removing the spindle nut, I highly suggest using the 4 bolt method. They are a little difficult to reach (you can always take the rear springs out), but eventually end up being easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts