Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay just got power to my lift and am needing to get the engine out from what ive seen everyone says dropping it through the bottom is easier anyone have a how to link on the forum? i need to know about the steering rack i cant access the lines on the rack itself and cant seem to find the pinch bolt on it and all the other odds and ends ive taken it out through the top and that was a pain anyone know of a link?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
What do you mean you can reach the rack? You reach the lines going into the rack from underneath. Undo the line, then go inside the car and there is a 10mm bolt on the steering shaft u joint. Undo this bolt and and the shaft will come off. Then once you do that you can undo the subframe bolts and lower the subframe. I used the cheap tranny jack from Harbor Freight, it works great for lowering the subframe.

You have to drop the subframe to make room. Get the car has high as you can, you may need to take the intake manifold off and lay the motor on it's side. I know that's been done before.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you i keep calling tom for help and i feel like im bothering him so i went here haha do i have to take anything off to reach those lines? so far a have nothing off.. do i remove the axles and rear mount to get to the lines? i dont know what i need to remove to expose the lines and thanks haha i was looking under the car for the pinch bolt for the steering linkage

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Your going to have to pull the transmission out with it, so yes you need to remove the axles.

Have you even looked at the lines? Your asking some questions that should be answered just by looking.

You should easily be able to get to the lines, it's a 10mm bolt that holds the bracket that holds the lines on the rack. Once you undo that little bracket thing the lines can be pulled out of the rack. You should have access to the this area already cause you should have removed the cat or ORP in preparation for dropping the motor. And even if you didn't you should be able to reach them, though I'm not sure with a stock cat, it may be too big and in the way, but you can definitely get it if you have a ORP.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope stock cat, i looked but couldnt see anything il check when i pull the axles i didnt wanna get too far in untili knew what order to do it in and didnt want to have to take off unneccisary stuff thanks i aprriciate your help il look when i start on it tomorrow if i have any qs il post em

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
There's nothing unnecessary when pulling the whole motor lol. You can see the lines from underneath, pulling the axle won't help as far as I know. I just jack the cars up and get at em' from underneath. That stock cat is huge and takes up some room. As soon as you remove it you'll see the lines going into the rack.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I tried to tell him late last night. I didn't know he was trying to keep axels in and drop subframe. If you pull radiator you can leave frame in and pull enigine toward front of car while lifting the body up and clear evrything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts