Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i noticed this hose awhile ago because the loop was completely smashed in so i'm pretty sure it wasn't being used, i wiggled it a little for my friend, and it snapped off. apparently i can still drive with it. i want to know what it does though and how important is it? because my engine light came on a day later, and my idling stays at 2-3 thousand RPM's but coasting, goes down when i completely stop.
i did just put in a new 67mm throttle body but i think the change for that is all good now, hopefully. but a broken hose should be taken care of
inside the broken hose as in the video, its full of metal, so i don't know if it does anything..

help please

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's crankcase breather hose. There is samll PCV valve where its snaps off ($6) change it just in case. The other side goes into the intake manifold. If this side of the intake manifold "hole" is not closed (with the hose taht you are showing) you will have vacum leak that couses your RPM jumping.
I left the crankcase breather off (catch can or atmosphere) in mine and closed the hole on the intake manifold.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah it looks like somebody replaced the regular PCV breather hose with a piece of rubber tubing that is too long. As the piece bends around it's being pinched off. Just replace this with a new OEM piece which will be a very small L shaped hose and you'll be good to go. The metal you're seeing is the check valve inside the PCV valve.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i'll be fine if i drive my car with it still off right? where can i buy a PCV breather hose?
this doesn't seem like a difficult fix , am i correct?

·
Registered
784 Posts
You'll be ok driving around without it for awhile. Either the dealership will have one or possibly an auto parts store. It's basically just a small 90 degree hose so if you were creative you could find some generic pre molded hose and just cut it to fit. May be cheaper than the actual oem part.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i called around at some auto parts stores, nobody had them, so i called the ford dealership this morning and they said they'll have it later today, hopefully this isn't too difficult of a fix, because i don't like running around with high RPM's, wastes gas, plus its easier to spin my tires and i recently put my winter tires on.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i bought the PCV breather tube from ford, turns out i only needed the rubber connector end that turned, the metal pipe was there already, and getting the old metal tube out would have been quite difficult, because it was completely buried, i put the rubber end on, and it is wayyyy better than it was, very smooth idle, and no hesitation when accerating. the old heater hose someone put on just for a quick fix literally had no flow to it, so it was basically no working in the first place. my car feels like it just shed thousands of miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts