Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 SVTF that just starting to have major issues! The car just starts to over heat.... Oil temp gauge pegs out and the coolant temp almost goes to the red. The car on the highway will run normal temp IF you drive it like a grandma and keep the RPM at or below 2800. Gauge says I have good pressure. I've heard a rumor the the oil pressure and oil temp guage is a glorified idiot light.. Is that right? The CEL is on and reading a code for rear o2 sensor... Have had this before and it was just a bad sensor. When all this started to happen I also started to have an oil leak from the back side of the motor. Checked the oil filter to make sure it was tight and only had one gasket... All was well...

Any help with all this would be great...

Thanks, AEllington

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fans not turning on EXCEPT in the high speed mode, just B4 overheating, is the most common cause of this issue....

Std. checks are to see if one comes on at low speed when it STARTS to get warm, if not - check fan resistor & the pigtail that connects to it - a common failure point....

Luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
the svt oil pressure gauge is fully functional, most other ford oil pressure gauges go straight to 1/2 when minimum pressure is detected

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It is not a cooling fan problem.

The cooling fans do not operate while moving at speed.
Which leaves,
bad radiator cap, bad thermostat, blockage in the cooling passages/radiator, weak water pump ... and possibly mild/severe internal engine problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts