Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i followed excatly what to do when making my short ram intake. the car ran great for like 15 min. took it out and its sputtering again just like it did last time. the difference this time is i used all the pieces from my stock tubing because last time i forgot the lower sensor. i don understand what the hell is going on. i thought adding that sensor would solve the problem. its also acting like it does not want to shift. The top picture is the one i just did and the bottom is the one i built mine off of.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have you cleaned your MAF sensor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can try but the thing about it is. if i put everything back to stock (which i cant now) if would run just fine thats what i did last time. i can try cleaning. whats the best way to clean it without [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g it up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well it worked fine stock and not now that you've done this mod then something is wrong. What? I don't know. I doubt your maf sensor is dirty since you've said that. And you'd need the spray made for cleaning it if you was going to.

Try resetting the ecu. Take of battery to clear it of old sensor data. Once you plug it all back up it will have to "relearn" everything and hopefully that'll fix your problem.

What do you mean It is acting like it doesn't want to shift?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well id disconnect the battery and then do a few actions that requires a charge like honk the horn or starting the car. Idk how long exactly but just a minute and hook back up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will try that and get back to you soon. i have to figure it out because i have school monday and live in the of fracking nowhere for parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i remember i did this the last time i put the coi on it. i reset everything and it worked for a few then acted up again. when i get on it, it will go bu then when it goes to shift like i said it lags out and does not want to. i have never had this problem with a coi before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intake is fixed all is good.

So upon further review of the to pictures i posted last night turns out this idiot as in way to much of a rush last night to get my short ram in. i looked at both pics and figured out that i had my damn censor in backwards. i switched it around fired the car up and the check engine light turned off right away and the car runs way better then it did before. thanks again for all the help guys. your input got my mind thinking what could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Look at the pictures posted closely, it looks like you have the MAF reversed.

When that tube is reversed in orientation, you have to remove the MAF and reinstall it the opposite way so it's oriented correctly.

Takes a little modification of the MAF mounting hole so it'll fit for most.

Remember - MAF IS directional!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Glad you got it, I just posted this fix in your original thread.

Merged threads to keep it all together, even if it looks silly now with my fix after your "solved" post (grin)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a break last night SAILOR and when i got up this morning i figured out the same thing lol. i switched everything around and when i started it up the check engine light shut off right way and it rives great now. thank you again for everyones help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Taking a break helps a LOT, gives your brain time to figure out what you'd noticed but hadn't thought about yet.

Good job.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Last two posts beat me to it; I see the little red plug tab on the wrong side. Glad to hear you got it working!

I wonder who built that sweet MAF tube bracket on the reference picture... XD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was a great reference to go off of lol I laid there in bed thinking there is no reason this should not be working. So I looked at the pic again and saw that. Mine is in there tight enough I don't know if I need a bracket but I'm gonna build one anyways when I get to school. I am going to school for mechanic's but and one of those middle aged guys who knows just enough to get himself into trouble lol. I love this site. I have learned a lot about my car from here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts