Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im a long time lurker and just joined when I need help. Usually how it goes right?

Any how I have a 2003 focus SE sedan with the SPI motor. recently ive been having a sputtering and it would go dead sitting at idle or first start up but would never throw a code, it would even out after I hit the gas and got going down the road. I had the fuel filter replaced new 8mm motorcraft wires and motorcraft plugs installed and the fuel pump tested. it was fine for about 3 weeks now it came back even worse. Its so intermittent that its hard to diagnose. it finally threw 4 codes yesterday.

The codes are P0304, P0316, P1000, P1117. I think the P0304 and the P0316 caused the other two codes.

any how i have had no loss or gain in fuel mileage after the tune up and no loss or gain of power. I cleared the codes this morning and cranked up up and it idled smooth as a babys butt for 20 minutes. So im stumped any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
304 should be missing on #4, don't know 316. 1000 just means it isn't all checked out OK. 1117 says the circuit to the temp sensor is intermittent or shorting out while running.

Intermittent could mean chasing a wiring problem 'till you find it for coil & sensor, start by looking at the connectors & then maybe wiggling the harness while it's running.

Luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
316 is a random misfire. If the misfire happens and goes dead wouldn't it cause the 1117 if it was waiting in a signal when it went dead?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not much chance of a misfire zapping the other circuit, I'd consider that a secondary problem until you solve the first & see if it returns.

Random means it couldn't determine which cyl. for sure I'd guess, still points to coil connector/wiring with coil as a secondary possibility. The coil usually has more consistent problems when it's giving grief, though if your intermittent happens only in the rain it would point more that way.

Coil check is looking for cracking in the plastic, takes removal to check it over completely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts